I am so grateful for this scripture! It is one of my absolute favorites. (I know I say that about all the scriptures, but they really are my favorites.) Paul packs a ton of stuff in this little verse.
"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind"
Isn't that awesome?!God does not and will not lead us by fear. He leads, teaches, encourages, and blesses us with love. Never do the prophets testify more powerfully about how God leads us than by love. And when we feel His love, we also feel power and peace. For me, God's power and peace are having a sound mind. I don't need to run around fearing what may or could happen. I don't need to fear the shoulda, woulda, coulda. Those are not having a "sound mind". Nor are they God's love.
Fear makes us do crazy things and react to things rather than responding. Fear causes us to break covenants and can lead us away from truth when we give into it.
But love on the other hand, is "the pure love of Christ" and will never fail us (see Moroni 7:46-47). God gives us His power when we keep our covenants- it is the power of truth, the power of the gospel, the power that comes from faith, the power to endure all things (see Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley). With God, we have nothing to fear, and even better, we have all the love and power we need. This I testify.
No comments:
Post a Comment