Tuesday, November 15, 2016

"But behold I say unto you, love your enemies..." (3 Nephi 12:44; see also Matt. 5:44)

Day #15

I am thankful for this scripture and the challenge it gives me every day to do what is not always easy. It is so important to learn how to do this. Christ taught it to the people in Israel and the ancient people of America.

"But behold I say unto you, love your enemies, 
bless them that curse you, 
do good to them that hate you,
and pray for them who despitefully use you and persecute you." 

There was a year in my life that pretty much I prayed for a woman who I truly thought was my enemy. I felt as if she had declared war on me and was determined to destroy me in the process. It was one of the hardest years of my life. As I look back on it, I am grateful for the chance I had to pray every night, in our family prayer, to help me forgive her, that I might love her.

I have come to learn for myself that loving my enemy doesn't mean I give them permission to treat me badly or that I become accepting of their every act. Rather, loving my enemy is more about my heart. It is about being able to forgive when it seems impossible. It is about letting go of hurt that seems will never heal. And putting my trust in a Master Healer, a perfectly just, and merciful God.

I am grateful for a loving and patient God who knows what we suffer privately and the remedy to heal our hearts. And sometimes the way to heal is to "do good to them that hate you". This I testify.

No comments: