Wednesday, December 27, 2017

"...but care for the soul, and the life of the soul" (D&C 101:37)

#LightTheWorld #day21

I have to confess that I really love good food...all sorts of food. Like Thai yellow chicken curry (or pretty much any curry), mmmm hamburgers! Good bread! or candy, and most definitely chocolate...(I ate a whole pound of See's chocolate all by myself the other week- man that was so gooood!), and sweet breads. I love a good omelette, sausage, bacon, all kinds of cheese! And I haven't even begun to talk about fruits and vegetables! Ok, now I'm just making myself hungry...and I have only just started on good food. If I don't eat when I am hungry, I get "hangry". My family is well aware of this affect upon my body and mind when I haven't eaten enough or when I am hungry (to speak nothing of being tired, cold, and wet). So, I try and eat before that hangriness hits- sometimes I can do it, but other times not so well.

And there is another kind of food that I also love. It's food for the soul. Sometimes the easiest thing to do is to feed the body and neglect the soul. I love this scripture that teaches me to keep these things in perspective: "Therefore, care not for the body, neither the life of the body; but care for the soul, and the life of the soul" (D&C 101:37). When I focus on only feeding my body and do nothing for my spirit, I get out of balance...perhaps it's a form of being spiritually hangry?

To feed the soul is to care more about the whole person, and not just the body. As I follow the example of the Savior in forgiving others (see Matthew 9:2; D&C 62:3), letting go of anger (see Psalms 37:8), in serving others (see Luke 10:25-37, Mosiah 2:17), in doing good (see D&C 6:8; Matthew 7:12), then I am fed (see Psalms 37:3). And I am also feeding His sheep..."for I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat" (Matthew 25:35; see also John 21:16). This is when the hangriness goes away because I am fed physically and spiritually.

Spending time with loved ones is "doing good"! Feed their souls!
My mom enjoying her ice cream. Caring for others is serving, and feeds souls!

No comments: