I am sometimes way too quick to find fault with this person (see D&C 88:124). I don't always understand why they behave in certain ways or say things that may drive me crazy. I am really sorry that I have not always been a better listener as you have shared your thoughts and ideas.
I read a quote from Elder Russel M. Nelson and I believe it needs to apply not only to neighbors, but also to those "neighbors" that we live with, our family members. This is what he said: "Opportunities to listen to those of diverse religious or political persuasion can promote tolerance and learning. And a good listener will listen to a person's sentiments as well" (Listen to Learn).
I can be a much better listener. Doing so does not mean I totally agree with all you say or do. But what it can do is help develop more patience, more understanding, less judging or finding fault with others. I know that as I try and apply this godly virtue, it doesn't necessarily mean that you will magically understand me either. But that's okay because we are required to forgive all men...even if they don't behave or think, or even receive justice as we may think they need to be given (see D&C 64:10).
Judge not, that ye be not judged for me includes less condemnation and less fear. Over the years I have thought I was pretty good at giving people "outs" for certain behaviors or ideas, or even the use of words that I may find to be offensive. I now realize that I need to be more willing to offer those "outs" to everyone and not just the people who live next door. I will keep trying, and do more to "judge not".

No comments:
Post a Comment