Tuesday, December 12, 2017

"Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted" (Matt. 5:4)


#LightTheWorld #day12 Just a couple of thoughts about mourning...

Mourn = to feel or express sorrow or grief

I generally think of mourning as related to by the death of a loved one. That is sorrow that I can't find words to express all that comes with that kind of loss.

I have also been pondering the sorrow or grief for anything lost or even regretted. I love the idea of being comforted at the loss of health, or the loss of a relationship, or the loss that comes when I sin. The mourning that comes from sinning is replaced by the comfort that comes through repentance.

Christ said, "Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted" (Matt. 5:4). God wants us be comforted when we experience any kind of loss because He loves us. Isaiah says it beautifully: "For the Lord shall comfort Zion, He will comfort all her waste places; and He will make her wilderness like Eden, and her desert like the garden of the Lord. Joy and gladness shall be found therein, thanksgiving and the voice of melody (Isaiah 51:3; 2 Nephi 8:3). I find these words to be beautiful in describing the comfort we will experience from our Heavenly Father when we mourn.

We are indeed loved.

My mother's feet shown on the left are as she is declining in health.
My feet on the right as I endure CRPS and it's effects.

We can take comfort in the knowledge that this day is but a moment...and God will comfort us when we mourn.


No comments: