Saturday, December 23, 2017

"I was in prison, and ye came unto me." (Matthew 25:36)

#LightTheWorld #day23

As I read the scripture for today, "I was in prison, and ye came unto me" (Matthew 25:36), I couldn't help but think of how we are all "in prison" at times. This means that we are held captive by our fears, by hanging onto the hurts, or pains that we have experienced intentionally or unintentionally afflicted upon us. Being unforgiving is one way of being spiritually in prison. "Remember them that are in bonds, as bound with them; and them which suffer adversity, as being yourselves also in the body" (Hebrews 13:3). Prison can be physical captivity, as well as spiritual captivity.

I have come to notice that when I am unforgiving I tend to see others through the eyes at the age in which I was wounded. I am "unable to break out of the prison of [myself]" (Elder Jeffrey R. Holland). As I think about how I have changed over the years, I do hope that people see the "new me", even the me that has changed, and been "born again in Christ" (conversion). As I offer this same compassion to others, as I hope they will give to me, I have felt like I am free, even released from this self made prison that has held me captive.

Sometimes that prison is the prison of envy, hate, fear, not forgiving others or myself, resentment, pain, loss of faith or hope. Sometimes we get locked into prison of not being compassionate. President Monson gives us a wonderful solution that helps us free ourselves and others from these prisons. He said, "We must develop the capacity to see men not as they are at the present but as they may become when they receive testimonies of the gospel of Christ" (Pres. Thomas S. Monson). As we continually strive to have this perspective, to see the truth of what really is, then we can be made free. "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free" (see John 8:32).

Jesus Christ is "the way, the truth, and the life"(John 14:6). He is the One that can and will set us free. This I testify.



No comments: