Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf said, "...patience is not passive resignation, nor is it failing to act because or our fears. Patience means active waiting and enduring. It means staying with something and doing all that we can- working, hoping, and exercising faith; bearing hardship with fortitude (courage in pain or adversity), even when the desires of our hearts are delayed. Patience is not simply enduring; it is enduring well!" (Continue in Patience).
I know we all have challenges that keep us from getting what we want in the timing we want. It's not easy being patient. So, I have had to ask myself what keeps me from being patient? When I take a step back I often find it is simply pride and selfishness. Pride because I think I know exactly what I "need" and that I believe it is good for me. And selfishness because I can't wait calmly and with dignity. Rather, I want to make everyone either aware of how miserable I am or make everyone as miserable as I am. That's pretty dang selfish.
Gratefully, God is aware of this "natural man" part of us (see Mosiah 3:19) and He helps us even when we are weak. He makes our burdens lighter, He makes them bearable. He says, "I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage". Why does He do this? He continues: "and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions" (Mosiah 24:14). When we are patient, He eases our burdens, which in turn increases our faith in Him. And then makes us able to "bear up [our] burdens with ease" (Mosiah 24:15), giving us more patience, and leading us again to increase our faith. In all of this cycle, He visits us and helps us carry our burdens (see Matt. 11:30)
I know that God has His reasons for trying our faith and our patience. I also know He gives us the strength to endure well- submitting "cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord" (Mosiah 24:15; see also Mosiah 3:19). You can do this! This is I testify.
![]() |
| I get to "hangout" with my mom a couple of times a week as she is on hospice. |
![]() |
| I am so grateful for her example of faith and patience. |


No comments:
Post a Comment