Sunday, December 04, 2016

"We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience..." (Articles of Faith 1:11)

Day 4, (Dec. 4th) #LIGHTtheWORLD

Just a few thoughts about worshipping my Father in Heaven and my Savior, Jesus Christ.

I start with the question: What does it mean to worship God? "Love, reverence, service, and devotion for God (D&C 20:19). Worship includes prayer, fasting, church service, participating in gospel ordinances, and other practices that show devotion and love for God." (Worship). We can also worship God when we sing. (see Sing)

And from this, I must ask myself, how do I show my love and devotion to God? As I have pondered this question I have realized that over the years my love for God has deepened. I want to do all that He asks of me. I continually try to be obedient even by following the command: "Do all things without murmurings and disputings." (Philippians 2:14) I am perpetually practicing this.

I do love singing and music. The Psalmist says: "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands. Serve the Lord with gladness: come before His presence with singing" (Psalms 100:1-2). And in modern revelation we are taught: "For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads." (D&C 25:12) When we sing praises to God, we are worshiping Him. This makes me truly happy!

One last thought about worshipping God. This is part of our doctrine in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints: "We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may" (Articles of Faith 1:11). For me, this is vital! Being able to worship God how I would like is a privilege I want and therefore I also allow others to worship as they see fit. I am so grateful I can worship God and I invite you to worship Him by attending a church service. You are always welcome to attend one of our congregations throughout the world by searching here.

A white statue of Jesus Christ with arms outstretched, surrounded by a mural of blue sky.
The Christus at the North Visitors Center in Salt Lake City
Link to view other images of Christ

No comments: