You know, there were moments that I just couldn't keep my emotions in check to be honest, which bugs me because then I have a harder time discerning the Spirit. Out of sheer desperation I started to clean out from under my bed and came across this scripture that I had printed out. It changed my whole perspective.
"And he who receiveth all things with thankfulness shall be made glorious; and the things of this earth shall be added unto him, even an hundred fold, yea, more." (D&C 78:19)
Things just changed after that. Gasoline happens. Kids have grumpy mornings. And then they come home and tell me they are sorry and they love me. Things have a way of working out. The trick is to "receive all things" with thankfulness not just the happy things or the expensive things or the things that make life easy. But all things. And to receive them, because they are all gifts. I get to learn from the challenges of having spilled gasoline in my car. I get to learn from having a migraine every day, yup, I do, not that I want to, but I get to, and in reality, it is a blessing rather than a curse.Why you may ask. Let me tell you why. It brings me to my knees more often and I get to talk with my Father in Heaven more frequently. I have a more understanding heart of those who suffer pain and I appreciate my pain that it isn't greater, for there are those who have much greater and worse pain than I do (so what is a little burn from cooking dinner?) Spilled gasoline in my car...yup, it smells. But in reality, it is just a car. Expensive, but my child is way more important than a car and it was an accident. "I'm sorry" immediately came forth from the offenders mouth. Gasoline will dissapate, but unkind words or anger takes longer to heal. I am so grateful I was able to just keep my mouth shut and clean up the mess. Through all of this, I am able to draw closer to my Savior who suffered things I can't even begin to comprehend. And my appreciation and love for Him grows and deepens even more for "the Son of Man hath descended below all things" (D&C 122:8).
"[Receiving] all things with thankfulness" is a great way to live. My mom said something today that has stuck with me as well. She said so wisely, it is one thing "to say" and another thing "to do". Sometimes I know something, but I don't always do it. I know this is what James was talking about in James 1:22 "Be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves." I know that as we "receive" the gifts we are given throughout our day, no matter what shape they come in, we will feel better. I know I did. And we then not only get to talk or say something, but actually do it~ the doing is to receive Christ into our lives. And it feels so good! This I testify really works. Try it. I promise it will change your world!
No comments:
Post a Comment