Today I went shopping. Now you have to know something about me~I am not a shopper. It isn't something that I usually spend my time doing for a couple of reasons. One reason, I am tall (6' is tall for a woman) and it is very difficult to find things that fit and so I get discouraged looking and I would rather not spend my time looking at myself in the mirror being reminded that things weren't necessarily made for tall women to buy off of the rack and it takes a lot of looking. And another reason is that I would rather do something else with my time, such as read, go to the temple, weave a basket, go to a museum, or be with a friend. But today was a special day, and I shopped with a dear friend who loves to shop and is good at it. Shopping with her is a very different experience for me. I have done it before and whenever I shop with her I always find things that fit and I feel so good and I end up buying things and she also buys things for me (she is a very dear friend~ it's my mother-in-law if you must know). I always cry when I am with her and her husband because they are so generous and good to me, and not just in buying me stuff. They treat me well with words and kindness. They love me and lift me. The only way to describe it is to say: They are soooo good to me (understatement!)
As I have pondered this today, shopping and clothing and what I wear, and how I am treated, it has brought me back to a topic I think about and ponder a great deal. It is the topic of what is in my closet? What am I wearing? I have discovered that there is a wardrobe described in the scriptures that is not only protective, but also beautiful, powerful, majestic, and celestial. I want to wear this every day. I will do my best to list this wardrobe, I have a list at home that I continue to add to but I am not at home right now, please forgive me if this is an incomplete list, but I ask you to make your own list and discover the power that the Lord promises us as we wear what He has to offer us. I could make a whole book about this topic. I love searching it and studying it. But for your sake of reading and your own learning, I will just list them for now.
-"Put on the whole armour of God"(note, it is the "whole" not hole- because there is not a 1/2 with God. He is bound when we do what He asks of Him! (see D&C 82:10).....(Ephesians 6:11; D&C 27:15)
-"Girt your loins with truth" (truth is eternal, don't try to cheat yourself on this one. It is an incredible power!)...(Ephesians 6:14; D&C 27:16 )
-The "breastplate of righteousness" (this is your heart, protect it with good things, feed it with good works, love, compassion, mercy, hope, good choices)...(Ephesians 6:14; D&C 27:16)
-"Your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel" and "the gospel of peace"(this is the direction you are facing, are you facing God?)...(Ephesians 6:15; D&C 27:16)
-"The shield of faith"(faith is a protection against all the fiery darts of the adversary because there is NO fear with faith. With faith you are hand in hand with God)...(Ephesians 6:16; D&C 27:17)
-"The helmet of salvation, (this is our thoughts-Look unto God in every thought, doubt not, fear not! D&C 6:36) and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God (see, you have to read and study your scriptures daily, there is no way around it, which also helps your thoughts go in the right direction)...(Ephesians 6:17; D&C 27:18)
-"strength" and "beautiful garments" (strength comes from priesthood power and beautiful garments are symbolic of those covenants we make with this power)... (Isaiah 52:1; D&C 113:7-8; 2 Nephi 8:24)
-"put on the new man"(the new man is who we are after we are "born again in Christ" and then we are baptized to show our commitment to being this new person and are "reborn" through His grace each Sunday as we partake of the Sacrament and recommit ourselves to those covenants we have made to follow Him.)... (Colossians 3:10; Ephesians 4:24)
-"bowels of mercy, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, long suffering...forgive others" (wear these every day and you feel much better. (see Colossians 3:12-13; Ephesians 4:32)
-And most important CHARITY=CHRIST ...(Colossians 3:14; Galatians 3:27; Moroni 7:47-48)
There is your wardrobe...it will protect, guide, strengthen, lift, change, inspire, make you more beautiful than you ever thought possible. I know it is impossible to wear all of it every moment, but you can work on wearing it a piece at a time every day and it will make a difference a little bit by bit. I have learned that I don't get a fantastic wardrobe overnight. It takes some planning, especially if I don't want to hawk myself in debt. But "by small and simple things, great things are brought to pass" (Alma 37:6) and the Lord is there to help us get the best wardrobe ever! He will make up the difference every day! It is the Lord's way of dressing because it is making us into something more than we could ever dream or become on our own. It is the only way to dress all of the time, for it is a celestial way of dressing and we will feel great about ourselves because we will be wearing the most important item of all~ Jesus Christ, which is charity. This I testify.
No comments:
Post a Comment