In my inbox I get a ton of "deals". Deals for some special on something that they are sure I just have to have today, or definitely within the next 3 days, or it will go away. I also get a lot of "specials" in my inbox and sometimes even in my real mailbox telling me that I just "need" to get it because it won't last. The other place that is always telling me that I have to go get or spend my money on something that I "must have" is those television commercials and those large billboards that seem to shout at me as I drive down the roads and freeway. I actually try to look away and find the mountains or other things to look at. It is getting more and more difficult on the freeway with the high walls and the blocked views. The radio is another voice that drives me nuts with telling me what I need, so I just don't listen to it. I shut it off most of the time.
But there is one place that I have found that will actually tell me what the "real deal" is and what I actually "need" and will never ever cost me anything other than my sacrifice of time, which is less than the message in the inbox, the mailbox, the TV, the radio, or even the billboard are willing to take from me, let alone give me. (They all suck away my time, and want my hard earned money and my thinking time!) This place to find the "real deal" is the scriptures. The scriptures are so powerful! They "talk of Christ...preach of Christ...prophesy of Christ... and write...that [we] may know to what source [we] may look for a remission of [our]sins" (2 Nephi 25:27). Now that is powerful stuff!
I can tell you that the scriptures are not trying to sell you anything, but are inviting you to partake of a feast.. Actually, you can feast without paying for it! You are invited to "come, buy and eat; yea, come buy wine and milk without money and without price. Wherefore, do not spend money for that which is of no worth, nor your labor for that which cannot satisfy...come unto the Holy One of Israel, and feast upon that which perisheth not, neither can be corrupted, and let your soul delight in fatness." (2 Nephi 9:50-51) Now that is a great diet! "Delight in fatness"...do you delight in the fatness of the flesh or the fatness of the soul? Again, it is a question of what do you really desire?
We are told what to "hunger and thirst after", it is "righteousness" (see 3 Nephi 12:6). Not self-righteousness, but "righteousness". What are you hungering and thirsting for? What do you spend your time doing? What do you spend your time thinking about? Does it lead you closer to Christ? Some may answer that they are not doing anything bad, but they aren't doing anything good either, just doing. Well, think on this: "I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth" (Rev. 3:15-16). It is better to take a stand and know what we want than to be a couch potato and let the TV or the internet or the inbox tell us what we should spend our hard earned money on and be "lukewarm". Make up your mind about where you stand and then stand! Stand and feast! I promise you will get the "deal of our life" ~ eternal life!!! and you will receive the "fatness of the earth" (D&C 56:18) and you will continue to learn every time you open them up. The scriptures "will tell you all things what ye should do (2 Nephi 32:3). This I testify is truth that can and will change your life for no actual money, just your a small bit of your time and a bit of your thought process.
Let the Light begin!
No comments:
Post a Comment