Thursday, September 22, 2011

"In every thing give thanks." 1 Thess. 5:18

It has been a great day. I have many blessings to count, and count them I did. At the end of the great day, it was almost ruined by an attitude, but was save by gratitude. It was a great blessing to feel the change take place as I prayed with my husband and just said thanks to Heavenly Father for all the blessings I had been given, all the "birthday gifts" if you will. (Sept. 21st is my birthday:) The list is long and wonderful and very humbling really. I have to much to be thankful and grateful for. As I started the prayer I was rather frustrated because of something that had taken place with one of our children just a few minutes earlier and I was suddenly in a bad mood. I didn't want to go to bed like this, so as I prayed, I only said thanks for all the "gifts" that I have been given, such as: My incredible husband who loves me supports me and is a wonderful father to our children. Our four amazing children who are learning for themselves the value of truth, hard work, faith, and so much more. The gift of having good friends and extended family close by to love and support me and our family. The gift of our home where we are safe and free from the world. The gift of good health. The gift of the gospel. The gift of Jesus Christ, my Savior and Redeemer. The gift of having scriptures to read so easily and having them so readily available. The gift of having a prophet to lead and guide us in these days of constant change and turmoil. The blessing and gift of Jeff's employment and that he likes what he does and where he works. The gift of knowledge and ability to make choices as to whether or not I want to apply that knowledge. Wow! I have received so many gifts!!! It has been an amazing birthday.

You know, it comes back to receiving again. There are just two quick scriptures that I will share about this an then I will let you ponder them and apply them as you will. As a receiver of gifts today, I realize that a gift is only as good as it is received. Better said:

"They who remain shall...enjoy that which they are willing to receive, because they are not willing to enjoy that which they might have received.
For what doth it profit a man if a gift is bestowed upon him, and he receive not the gift? Behold, he rejoices not in that which is given unto him, neither rejoices in him who is the giver of the gift." 

We are going to receive that which we are only willing to enjoy. As a kid, we wouldn't have liked it if our parents got us a really complicated game that we couldn't play~ unless we were willing to take the time to learn the rules, that means we had to be will to receive it and all the responsibility with it of learning how to play the game. But if we don't want to take the time to learn all of those rules then the game just becomes a burden and is left alone and more of a pain rather than a true gift. And the giver of the gift isn't appreciated either. 

Gratefully, in this life we have ample opportunity to learn to be good receivers. And one of the greatest gifts we can receive each day is the gift of gratitude. Start by "[counting] all your blessings, name them one by one, and it will surprise you what the Lord has done." (Count Your Blessings). I promise that you will notice a difference in your day as you do this simple task of counting your blessings, seeing the good around you. As you do this your perspective will change and you will be filled with the Spirit. You will develop "an attitude of gratitude". "Let us follow Him. Let us emulate His example. Let us obey His word. By doing so, we give to Him the divine gift of gratitude." (Thomas S. Monson) This I testify will make a difference in all the gifts you receive.

No comments: