Sunday, October 23, 2011

"...the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do." (2 Nephi 32:3)

I like to make salads and sometimes I just put a few random things together and it tastes really good. That's what this post is-a tossed salad of random thoughts, a few of my favorite things that taste good alone, as well as together and sometimes randomly. The great thing about a salad is that it can be an appetizer or it can be a meal in and of itself. Here are the random thoughts-you'll have to make your own salad or you could share your favorites with me as well.

"Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not" (D&C 6:36). This is a challenge for me to do, but I think of this scripture often. The Lord is inviting us to look to Him in everything. Everything. As we do we are changed. Changed from relying on man to relying on the Master and "Creator of all things" (Helaman 14:12). We need not fear because as we look to Him, our eyesight improves and we can see better "the things that matter most" (Elder Uchtdorf), and our long term vision becomes eternal and our fears melt away. This can happen every day.

"For thus saith the scripture: Choose ye this day, whom ye will serve" (Alma 30:8). It is our choice whom we want to serve. I tell our children, just about every time they leave the house, "Make good choices." Making good choices has long term effects upon us mentally, spiritually, emotionally, physically. "[Choose] the good part...I have none other object save it be the everlasting welfare of your souls" (2 Nephi 2:30). When you make good choices, you have no regrets because you can look back and know you did your best.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me" (Philippians 4:13). I love this passage of scripture. I think about this one often and our children say it as well. We can do all things with Christ. Just yesterday, on a long bike ride, as I was riding alone and my legs were sore and my behind was sore and I was very tired and I still had 10 miles to go and I had a head ache, I started thinking about this. I can do all things through Christ...every hard thing, and there are many hard things in life, and sometimes I just have to take them minute by minute, but I keep pedaling and guess what, I move forward. And we can and we will make it to the end. And it feels great when we endure through all the hard stuff! Christ will help us get through every hard thing...He truly will and does strengthen us.

"...by small and simple things, shall great things come to pass..." (Alma 37:6) I know that isn't the whole passage of the scripture, but that is what I always think about. (If you would like to read it in it's entirety please click the link.) Too often I don't give myself credit for the little things I do. I will quickly dismiss the time I take to call someone or write to them or something that I thought was insignificant that was actually very helpful and made a big difference for someone. It is by the small things, like watering a garden daily, that a beautiful garden will grow. It is by reading the scriptures daily that the Spirit will be felt more powerfully in our lives. It is the prayers that make a difference. These may be the "pat" answers, but they are the small and simple things that will make the big difference in our lives.

"If ye love me, keep my commandments" (John 14:15). I have come to love this scripture. I use to think that I could have my own agenda and do my own thing and do it my way and show God I loved Him. But it is so simple. And it is so freeing! Keeping the commandments isn't binding, it allows me to be free from fear of disease, free from hate, free from the sorrow that comes from making really bad choices (and I have had my fair share of those...I don't want to go there again.) We are free to feel true joy and happiness when we keep His commandments because as we do so we are following the One who knows True Joy and True Happiness. "When we put God first, all other things fall into their proper place or drop out of our lives" (Pres. Ezra Taft Benson). God never said that we wouldn't have trials or sorrow if we kept His commandments. Life isn't a piece of cake, but I have found that I am more at peace, a better mother, happier, more loving, and life is easier, even when it's hard, if I keep His commandments.

"O be wise; what can I say more?" (Jacob 6:12) I say this to our children and our children say this a well because...God has given us a brain. He wants us to use it. Be wise in the days of our probation, this life (see Alma 12:24). We will have problems and challenges, He will help us solve them, but He has also given us the Spirit, the scriptures, the words of prophets (read their words here), church, good leaders, family and friends to help us. He want us to make it easier for ourselves by making good choices and being wise with the things He has given us. We are wise when we pray for strength to endure the burdens and challenges rather than ask them to be removed. We are wise when we learn from Christ's example and turn to Him rather than turn from Him. "O be wise, what can I say more?"

The scriptures are a powerful and incredible tool for us to find strength and guidance. They are the words of Christ, they are His voice and will "tell you all things which ye should do" (2 Nephi 32:3). The scriptures are true. This I testify from my own experience, my own reading, my own study, and from my heart. I invite you to read and find out for yourself.

No comments: