I made, for the first time, gluten free sweet potato muffins. They were delicious!!! I usually will make pumpkin muffins, but this morning I decided to use some of the roasted sweet potato I had frozen. They were so moist and yummy and the taste was sublime. I wish there was a way for me to describe the flavor; cinnamon, with a hint of clove. They had a buttery, sugar, nut crunch on top that is so good. This time I used almonds. I will definitely make them again.
Taste is an interesting thing. It can be an incredible experience that brings so much pleasure and joy to us. It is an incredible gift from God. Think of all the yummy foods we get to experience and enjoy. Grapes, in all their varieties; lemons, that can be turned into a dessert or into lemonade, I even had it on pizza the other week. Think of chocolate, that is a wonderful flavor to me. I do have a friend that doesn't find chocolate so pleasing and could pass it by. But I really enjoy it; the melting of it and the creaminess of it. I especially like it when it has nuts or toffee in it. I describe these "tastes" because these are physical tastes. "Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season thereof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart; Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul" (D&C 59:18-19). These things do taste good, and do enliven my soul.
There is so much pleasure when we taste good things. That is why we are offered more delicious things to taste in the scriptures. The Psalmst says: "O taste and see that the Lord is good" (34:8). The Lord is good. He offers us so much more to life than a mere short lived lick of ice cream or a nibble of chocolate. He offers us "fruit...desirable to make one happy...that is most sweet, above all that [we]ever before tasted". If we partake of this fruit it will "fill [our] souls with exceedingly great joy...and [we know] that is is desirable above all other fruit" (1 Nephi 8:10-12). By tasting ourselves of this fruit, which fruit is "the love of God" (1 Nephi 11:22), we can know for ourselves spiritual truths because we have tasted of the love of God (see Mosiah 4:11).
When we taste of the love of God we feel the Spirit and the Spirit testifies of truth (see Moroni 10:5; John 14:26). I want to taste of His love all of the time. Sometimes it is more difficult to "taste" than others because of challenges we face or "dark days" (Ezekiel 34:12) but His love is unfailing. What can we do to taste it more frequently? In 1 John 5:3 we are told: "For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous." His commandments aren't grievous, they are freeing and lifting. Just like laws of the land keep us safe and free from physical harm, the laws of God offer us protection and safety from spiritual harm. The yield sign on the street and the stop sign are there for a reason, not to just add decoration, but order and safety to what could lead to a horrible situation. This is the same with the commandments of God. They are there, by a loving, all knowing God who will protect us if we are willing to be obedient to His commandments. He will never force us to obey. That isn't His way. He will lovingly lead us "beside still waters" (Psalms 23:2) but, He will never force us to drink or taste that which we don't want. It is our choice.
That's the beauty of this incredible "fruit" He offers us. It is our choice to partake of all He has in store for us. He is calling and inviting all of us~ "Behold, there are many called (that means everyone who is willing to make a covenant with Him), but few are chosen" (we choose whether or not we want to accept this wonderful "fruit" He is offering to us) (D&C 121:34). He wants us to partake, it is up to us whether or not we "yield to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man" (Mosiah 3:19) and "taste of His love" because "...[He] preparest a table before [us]..." (Psalms 23:5). A whole table is waiting for us to taste.
Sometimes things are difficult and "bitter". Why? So that we "may know to prize the good" (Moses 6:55). Without having tasted less than great food, I wouldn't know what delicious and incredible food really is. I will continue to seek how to make wonderful food that melts in my mouth and fills my heart and soothes my soul and tastes delicious. I can tell you this, the Lord is always offering us the best things to taste, turn to Him and He will lead us to the most incredible tasting food ever. I have "tasted that the Lord is gracious (1 Peter 2:3) and I have "tasted of His love" (Mosiah 4:11) and my desire is to share His love with all the world. This I testify will fill your soul with "exceedingly great joy" and is "desirable above all other fruit" (1 Nephi 8:12).
No comments:
Post a Comment