Tuesday, October 11, 2011

"I am the resurrection and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live." John 11:25

Today, October 11th, is a special day because it would be my niece, Chandler Renee's birthday. She would be 13 years old today. She doesn't get to celebrate it here on earth with her family. I like to think she is with other family members, on the other side of the veil, celebrating the fact that we have all been given an incredible gift called "the resurrection". "The resurrection consists in the uniting of a spirit body with a body of flesh and bones, never again to be divided. The resurrection shall come to all, because of Christ's victory over death" (Bible dictionary). I know that we shall see Chandler again, that her death is only temporary, as "this restoration shall come to all, both old and young, both bond and free, both male and female, both the wicked and the righteous; and even there shall not so much as a hair of their heads be lost; but every thing shall be restored to its perfect frame..." (Alma 11:44).

Death of a loved one can be a real trial of our faith. I haven't lost a child and I can't imagine how difficult this would be. It isn't a trial I would choose to go through, as I am sure none of us would. I haven't been afraid of a child dying because I know I would see them again, but I have feared how I would handle the grief. And today it came to me in a very calm assuring way, I know how I would handle the grief...through faith in Jesus Christ. He said, "I will not leave you comfortless; I will come to you" (John 14:18). He will not leave us alone or without comfort when we go through hard things, no matter what it is! It may not be what we would want to go through, nor does it mean that it would be easy, but we don't have to go through it alone. His desire is to help us draw closer to Him, to help us become more like Him. But we must choose to "come unto [Him]" (see Isaiah 55:3, Ether 4:13, D&C 45:5).

Abraham was asked to sacrifice his son Isaac. We frequently focus on how difficult it would be to have to sacrifice an only child. It would be. Abraham was able to sacrifice Isaac, not only because he loved the Lord and wanted to be obedient (obedience to the commandments shows our love for the Lord~ (see John 14:15)) but because, his faith was "that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead" (Hebrews 11:17-19). He was willing to sacrifice his son because he knew he would see him again, his only son would live again, his death would only be temporary because of the promises of the resurrection. That is powerful faith. I know there are many people who are called upon to "sacrifice" their children and they are able to let their children go, because they have faith in Jesus Christ.

My sister-in-law and her husband have incredible faith as they have continued to go forth celebrating the birth of their only daughter every year for the past 13 years and will continue to do so. It is a celebration of life, a celebration of hope, and faith in our loving Savior who sacrificed all so that we might live again. Christ said, "I am the resurrection and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" (John 11:25). What an incredible gift to give their 5 living sons, faith in the resurrection of Jesus Christ and in His power so that we can live again. Happy birthday, Chandler!

I look forward to the day when my sister-in-law and her husband are reunited with their daughter, Chandler because Christ lives! This I testify.