Tuesday, October 11, 2011

"Doubt not, but be believing" Mormon 9:27

Have you ever been somewhere and there is a horrible smell that suddenly permeates the air? One almost naturally fans the air and plugs their nose to get away from the awful smell. Sometimes we might even say something about the rancid smell, especially if it smells of natural gas and could be harmful to our health.

Well, I know there are spiritual senses that we have that we sometimes ignore, that if we could actually smell them, they would be very rancid, and very harmful to our health. Part of it is allowing ourselves to actually "feel" rather than just "fan the air" and turn away from what appears to be a bad "smell". Let me try and explain what I am thinking.

Nephi and his brother's, in The Book of Mormon had seen an angel, and yet, Laman and Lemuel would not listen to the Spirit, and had "heard his voice from time to time; and he hath spoken unto [them] in a still small voice, but [they] were past feeling, that [they] could not feel his words..." (1 Nephi 17:45). Just as we at times get used to a bad smell because we have been around the stench for too long, Laman and Lemuel had been around a "bad feel" if you will, and were "past feeling". They could no longer recognize the tender touch of the Spirit.

The Spirit is described as a "still small voice" (see D&C 85:6). The definition of still is: "undistrubed or tranquil; silent and calm; gentle or quiet, subdued" The Free Dictionary. So, if you say, 'The quiet, calm, and small voice", makes one think they must really pay attention in order to actually  "feel after [the Lord]" (see Acts 17:27; D&C 101:8). In our day and age of loud, noisy music, and it is constant with our "earbuds" always in our ears, it is very difficult to actually hear, or "feel" anything that is "still," let alone, "small". It takes practice. Practice being calm and still ourselves.

You can train your nose to recognise smells, both good and bad. But it is so sweet when I can recognize the sent of a flower, or the sent of a spice that is put into a food. I can't do it the first time I smell it or taste it, but I can eventually come to recognize them. This is the same with the Spirit, but I must have ample opportunities to "feel after him" (Acts 17:27). I must put myself into a position to be able to feel it by beginning with my thoughts. First question I can ask myself is, "What think ye of Christ?" (Matt 22:42). Have I thought about Christ today? Have I done anything that would help me to draw closer to Him or to learn of His ways? (see D&C 19:23.) As a parent I have a responsibility to give my children opportunities to practice "feeling the Spirit" and making choices that will help them know what they are "feeling" because if I am always telling them what they can and cannot do without opportunities for choice, when it comes time for them to tell on their own, they won't know how to make a choice on their own. I will have crippled them, rather than given them wings, which is the power to move and to act (see D&C 77:4).

I know that as we practice using our sense of "spiritual feeling, smelling, hearing, and seeing" through obedience to His commandments, because we love God, there will come into our lives a power of direction, (see 1 Nephi 17:13), a power and privilege to see things that are not visible to our natural eyes (see D&C 76:116-118), peace and calm that the world will not and cannot offer us (see John 14:27), and we shall have hope in Christ knowing that we will live again with loved ones who have passed away (see Moroni 7:41), and "all things wherewith you have been afflicted shall work together for your good (D&C 98:3).

Breath in deeply the air that smells so fresh and good, and feels so wonderful and will change your life. It is real. Don't let yourself get "past feeling", or hearing, or seeing. "Doubt not, but be believing" (Mormon 9:27). This I testify is the best things you will ever smell, taste, touch, feel or see in your life, ever!!!

No comments: