Personal insights, thoughts, feelings and experiences that help keep Christ and His Gospel in every day life.
Wednesday, October 19, 2011
"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled with the Holy Ghost" (3 Nephi 12:6)
I have a basil plant that is hydroponic. It needs water in order to get its nourishment. I have to make sure it gets water every day. While my husband and I were out of town for 6 days I asked one of our children to make sure it got water daily. Well, he forgot. Since we have been back the plant hasn't been the same. Some of the stems have gotten hard and it takes a very long time for it to soak up water. It is like its heart has hardened and won't allow it to let the nutrition from the water get to the leaves. Most of the leaves are light green now, and not the rich green they once were.
As I read my scriptures today I thought of this plant and I thought of how we, in our lives, choose whether or not we soak up the Living Water, the Savior (see Jeremiah 17:13) whether or not we "thirst after righteousness" (Matt 5:6). Sometimes, I think it is as simple as remembering to water the plant. The water being the nourishment that the Savoir offers us, the plant being us. But sometimes when we have forgotten to drink, we get dehydrated and become hardened. What to do then?
Unlike my basil plant, we don't have to give up. There is an answer. The answer is: "...repent (which means " a turning of the heart and will to God, and a renunciation of sin to which we are naturally inclined (Bible Dictionary)), and come with full purpose of heart, and cleave unto God as he cleaveth unto you. And while his arm of mercy is extended towards you in the light of the day, harden not your hearts" (Jacob 6:5). Don't become like my basil plant which stem had become hardened and takes really long time to soak up nutrients. "Yea, today, if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts; for why will ye die?" (Jacob 6:6) Don't let your spirit die, not even a tiny bit. Every day is a chance to be reborn in Christ. Every day is a chance to drink of the waters of life, to remember Christ.
All too often we "quench" ourselves of the very nutrients that will strengthen and help us, "the words which have been spoken concerning Christ...and...the good word of God, and the gift of the Holy Ghost...and [then we] make a mock of the great plan of redemption, which [has] been laid for [us]" (Jacob 6:8). These are the very things we should be "drinking in" to sustain us spiritually and to help us "always remember Him" (Moroni 4:3; D&C 20:77; Moroni 5:2; D&C 20:79; Mosiah 5:12). Sometimes I don't think we mean to make a mock of the great plan of redemption, but we do when we forget about Him. Sometimes we just get busy and, well, lazy and forget to water the plant. And that's when we "quench the Holy Spirit" (Jacob 6:8).
The Apostle Paul said it simply: "Quench not the Spirit" (1 Thessalonians 5:19). Instead, water the plant, feed your spirit. Christ said: "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled with the Holy Ghost"(3 Nephi 12:6). Choose to drink deeply on a daily basis. Christ is the fountain of living waters (John 4:11-14). He will help us grow and become trees of life (see Proverbs 11:30). It is our choice, and what a blessing He will lead the way. Remember Christ. This I testify is the best drink you will ever have in your life!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment