Thursday, October 06, 2011

"... lift up your heads and receive the pleasing word of God, and feast upon his love..." Jacob 3:2

Have I done any good in the world today? Have I helped anyone in need? Sometimes it is really hard to know whether or not I have helped anyone because I just go about doing the normal day to day things of taking care of my family, making dinner, doing laundry, making sure my kids do their homework, exercising, reading my scriptures. The normal stuff. And sometimes I wonder if I have made a difference for anyone throughout the day. I like to think that I have, but it isn't always apparent. And some days are just like that.

But I don't think days need to be like that, and I am trying to make them less like that by  doing the "small and simple things" so that "great things are brought to pass" (Alma 37:6.) Great things...well, doing laundry and making dinner aren't great things, meaning I am not going to get kudos from the world or any kind of recognition for doing them. Neither is saying my prayers, or reading scriptures or kissing my children good night, or telling them I love them, or being kind to others. No, these aren't great things, they are "well doing". And we must "be not weary in well doing, for [we] are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great" (D&C 64:33.)

I can do "great things" everyday and know that I am doing good by doing the "small and simple things". One of those small things is very simple, and has brought a greater measure of the Spirit into my life than anything else. We have been told by prophets over and over to do it, and it is so simple! (Again, I love simple.) It is to read the scriptures, especially  The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ every dayYes, every day.

Why every day? I can only speak from my own experiences and I have come up with many reasons, but I will list only three today. First, Love for my Savior which leads to protection from the adversary (see Ephesians 6:11-17.) There are promises given again and again in the scriptures to those who keep the commandments of God. Well, I have found that my desire to keep those commandments grows as I come to know my Savior better through learning His words and then applying them. "For how knoweth a man the master whom he has not served, and who is a stranger unto him, and is far from the thoughts and intents of his heart?" (Mosiah 5:13) As I keep the commandments I am learning not only to make good choices and become more clean and more righteous but my love for Jesus Christ increases as well. Satan is bound by righteousness (see 1 Nephi 22:26.) That is powerful protection! The more love I have for Christ, the more obedient and righteous I strive to become which leads to more protection from the adversary. I have found great protection in my daily scripture study and I know it will be for you also.

Second: read for inspiration and guidance every day: The word of Christ is more powerful than anything else upon our minds to help us learn what we need to learn, including the sword (which implies fear, you can always make more friends, be a better parent, be a better leader, with love than fear anyway) (see Alma 31:5). The word of the Lord is more powerful than any self-help or psychology book. Ponder that one. It is true! I have found more answers as a parent while reading the scriptures than I have while reading any other book about parenting. Perhaps it's because I have been changed more than anything else. I am not sure, but I know that I have received inspiration about almost anything while studying or following scripture study. When I do my scripture study I have an increase measure of the Spirit and therefore I have more access to the Spirit. It has been a true blessing and will be in your life as well.

And third: It can and will heal you because it is the words of Christ (see Jacob 2:8.) "O all ye that are pure in heart, lift up your heads and receive the pleasing word of God, and feast upon his love; for ye may, if your minds are firm, forever." (Jacob 3:2) I have experienced its healing power in my own life. All I can say is: read and be healed!

So, if you have any doubts about whether or not if you've done any good in the world today, take the time to read and know you have done good in the world today. Read and be protected. Read and be inspired. Read and be healed. This I testify is a "small and simple thing" that will definitely bring about a great change.

Have I told you you are SO loved today? Read His words and you will find out for yourself!!! (see John 3:16; 1 John 4:11; D&C 34:3; 1 Nephi 17:40 )