A few years ago when we had purchased a brand new minivan I was backing up and had looked over my shoulder to make sure there was nothing behind me, but then looked forward because there were some little girls in front and to the right of me that I didn't want to hit. All of a sudden I felt a very large thump or perhaps it was more of a CRUNCH!!! (Yeah, it was a crunch.) I had hit a lamp pole that I hadn't noticed and totally damaged the whole back of my brand new van! (It was less than a month old.) I did have my kids in the van as well as their cousins. I think the kids were more shocked by my language than by the CRUNCH!!! I was so embarrassed and felt really horrible. I didn't want to go home and tell my husband...but I had to do it, that I had wrecked our brand new van.
Well, the short story of it is, we got the van fixed and it looked brand new again. I was so relieved! You would never know that I had wrecked it unless I told you. We had auto insurance for a reason, for those accidents that are going to happen, or might happen. And we have a choice if we want to file a claim or not and actually use the coverage we pay for to make the car look brand new and perfect again. I was so happy to have my brand new van back! It was nice to not have that big CRUNCH!!! permanently there, but completely gone.
Our Father in Heaven knew we would make mistakes and have accidents in our lives and so He gave us the Perfect Insurance Policy, His Son, Jesus Christ. It is up to us to "file a claim" and actually make the decision to use the Policy. How we pay for the policy is to sacrifice, put our heart on the alter, "a broken heart and a contrite spirit" (see 3 Nephi 9:20). Through faith we must lay down our "broken heart" and get a "new heart" (Ezekiel 36:26) through the atonement of Jesus Christ. It is our choice of course, if we want to keep our old heart and in so doing we keep the damage and we can't be repaired. It takes faith and a "contrite spirit" or a repentant spirit, to lay our "broken heart" on the alter. The rest is covered, Full Coverage if you will, by Jesus Christ!
We are "made whole" by first exercising faith in Jesus Christ. There are many examples in the scriptures of people who first believe that Jesus can either make them or a loved one whole through touching Christ, or the hem of His garment, or asking Christ to heal them or their loved one (see Mark 6:56, Matt. 15:28, John 5:14, Mark 10:52, 3 Nephi 26:15). He can and does make us completely whole from sin and past transgressions when we repent and put our hearts on the altar (see 3 Nephi 9:13). Just like my van after it was repaired and you could not tell that it had had a problem or been damaged in anyway, the Lord is the same way. He heals us completely! He makes us whole!!! He wants us to "come unto Him" today and every day.
So I ask myself, how can I come unto Christ today? What do I need to do, look for, stop doing, do differently, renew, or perhaps start doing? How have I tried to "touch Christ" through my faith today? It is a daily process for me to be healed, and thankfully so, because I know that I need as much Insurance Coverage as I can get. Gratefully, I am reminded weekly as I partake of the sacrament that we all have "full coverage" through Christ as we exercise faith in Him and "come unto Him" (Matt. 11:28). Jesus is the best coverage of all, because guaranteed, accidents are going to happen, but this I testify, they don't need to be permanent.
No comments:
Post a Comment