Sunday, October 09, 2011

"In me ye might have peace...I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)

A friend of mine from high school has always talked about "world peace". I know that he is very sincere in wanting it to take place. He is a very kind person and has a very good heart, at least he was when I associated with him. I know that he still desires world peace from a few of the posts he puts on his facebook page. I understand this desire. I too would like world peace. War is ugly, and not the the way to world peace. But there is a way to world peace.

The way to world peace is Jesus Christ, but people don't want to hear that, or don't want to follow Christ, or perhaps they think it's too simple. But it is that simple, but people would rather follow some one else or do it their own way, or some would even do it with money. Jesus Christ is the only way (John 14:4-6) and He set the example completely by being the sacrifice needed for all of us.

Let's talk openly about this for a minute. Do we really want world peace when we have a hard time not getting upset with the bad driver on the freeway or when the neighbor let's their dog mess all over our lawn and doesn't clean it up. Or worse, how do we behave when someone unintentionally embarrasses us or hurts us? Or even worse yet, how do we behave when some one intentionally hurts us and treats us like garbage and does real damage to us or a family member? These are the real questions when it comes to "world peace". Because it's one thing to talk about a war that is across the world and we only hear about it on TV or in the newspaper, but we can't control our temper with our family or with the driver on the road in our own neighborhood. (I include myself in this by the way...I am really good at yelling at the driver next to me.)

It is hard to get to that place of being able to actually do what Christ not only taught, but lived: "But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you" (Matt 5:44.) The real challenge comes in loving those whom I don't want to love, not just to the people who are nice to me. It is really easy to love those who are nice to you. I like being nice and loving those who are kind and good to me. Am I humble enough to "love my enemy"? This doesn't mean that if I have been abused I allow the abuser to go free and continue to hurt other people. That isn't love. That is stupidity.

Love and world peace does include limits. Christ has made it clear that there are limits and those limits are the commandments. He says, "If ye love me, keep my commandments" (John 14:15) and one of those commandments is to "forgive all men" (D&C 64:10.) There have been times in my life where I wasn't sure I would be able to forgive someone for something because the hurt was so deep. I wanted to know why I had to forgive. I understood it was "required" of me (see D&C 64:10) but I wanted to know the "why". Well, in my desire to forgive I was taught a great lesson. And the Lord made it clear to me the reason why I needed to forgive. When I hold onto my anger and decide that the person deserves "justice" or "judgement" from me , then I am taking on a role that isn't mine. The Lord says, "And ye ought to say in your hearts- let God judge between me and thee, and reward thee according to thy deeds" (D&C 64:11.) It is the Lord's role, not mine, to judge others. He is the one to decide whether or not they should be forgiven. We don't need that additional burden of responsiblity of "judge" put on ourselves when we don't forgive others. That is why we are "required to forgive all men" (D&C 64:10.)

If we really want to have "world peace" we must be willing to give up our desire to "judge others" and truly "forgive one another (D&C 64:9.) This is where "world peace" will start, with us, in our hearts, and  in our neighborhoods, and in our homes. "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world" (John 16:33.) Follow Christ. He is the way. This I testify.

No comments: