Thursday, March 22, 2018

"...fight the good fight..." (1 Timothy 6:12)

As a parent I sometimes wonder if I am doing enough, if I have taught my children well enough, have I protected them and given them the tools they need to "fight the good fight" (1 Tim. 6:12)? How do I help my child when they are in "crisis" (see Alma 34:34)? I needed answers. And this is what I received. I hope it is of some help for you.
"...king Mosiah having gone the way of all the earth, having warred a good warfare, walking uprightly before God, leaving none to reign in his stead; nevertheless he had established laws, and they were acknowledged by the people; therefore they were obliged to abide by the laws which he had made." (Alma 1:1).
I love the phrase, "having warred a good warfare". As a parent, I think we are warring a good warfare. Warfare is the activity of fighting a war or strongly competing, especially with reference to the type of weapons used or to the way the fighting is done" (warfare). Spiritual warfare is real and incredibly difficult to fight. "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places" (Ephesians 6:12). That's the description of the enemy wherein we are warring against. This is no kitten, but rather "the dragon" (see JST, Revelations 12:6-7) in which we are battling.

As parents, I believe we keep fighting for our children, no matter how old they get. I have noticed that I tend to parent out of fear and not love, which is not the best way to war a good warfare, when things get stressful. I must remember, "God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love, and of a sound mind" (2 Tim. 1:7). Rather than let fear lead us, we can don the "whole armour of God", which includes: "having our loins girt about with truth", "the breastplate of righteousness", shodding our feet "with the preparation of the gospel of peace", "the shield of faith", "the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit" (Ephesians 6:13-17). That is some awesome armor! I would even venture to say it is more powerful and protective than anything Ironman would claim he owned if he actually existed.

King Mosiah also lived what he preached. He "[walked] uprightly before God" (Alma 1:1). To be "upright" is to be "strictly honorable or honest" (upright). Our children need to know where they can turn to understand and learn truth. "We believe in being honest" (Article of Faith 1:13). There is no fear in living an honest life. But I know there is great fear that comes when we lie, cheat, or live beneath any truth we know ourselves.

One more thing I learned from Mosiah about being a good parent is to not be afraid of setting limits or making rules: ..."he had established laws, and they were acknowledged by the people; therefore they were obliged to abide by the laws which he had made" (Alma 1:1). When our children know what our expectations are then they can abide by them. It's when there are no clear rules or "laws" in our homes that can cause friction and contention. Be confident in living that which is right, "for they that be with us are more than they that be with them" (2 Kings 6:16). God is on our side!

Parenting is one of the greatest challenges that we will ever experience, if not the greatest, even beyond epic. I know that the teenagers of this time are truly exceptional. They are "glorious sons and daughters of almighty God" (Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf), just like their parents. You and I can "fight the good fight" because our children are worth every single battle. This I testify.



No comments: