Thursday, March 15, 2018

"And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:7).

Without going into any details, let me just say that this week has been more than I have been able to comprehend in a lot of ways. Yes, it has been a trial, a burden if you will. Yet, I have felt that my burden has been made lighter by so many kind, good, humble, diligent, faith-filled people . I know that God has heard my supplication, even my request for help from Him (see supplication).  To me, I know that God has sent angels to lift my burden and make it lighter (see Mosiah 18:8), most of whom have no idea they have even done this lifting.

I love these verses: "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:6-7).

One of the reasons I love this is it reminds me to not worry and "don't be unduly concerned about anything" (Phil. 4:6a). I'm working on not letting my runaway thinking of the "what if's" take over; but rather to "meditate upon these things;  [to] give [myself] wholly to them; that [my] profiting may appear to all" (1 Tim. 4:15). Meditating and pondering on the things of God helps me to calm my heart, clear my mind of fear, and focus on His power to guide and comfort me (see ponder). Meditation is a gift of calm and quieting the heart. I highly recommend it.

Another reason I love this verse is because of the advice to pray and supplicate the Lord with thanksgiving. Offering thanks has been a great blessing to me, especially in times it seems when all I see is "through a glass darkly" (1 Corinthians 13:12). Praying with thanksgiving is very humbling when I am in what seems to be a dark abyss. It helps me see the truth and reality that I am in a world filled with light and peace (see Luke 1:79). Giving thanks is a reminder that indeed, "I have been given much" and therefore, "much is required" (D&C 82:3; see also Luke 12:48).

I can testify of the truth of the words, "The peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." When I petition, and supplicate the Lord for His help, I must be open to receive this gift, "even peace in this world" (D&C 59:23). His peace does pass all understanding as I keep my focus on Christ, letting go of fear, and trusting Him that all things shall work together for my good (see D&C 98:3; D&C 100:15; Romans 8:28). It's not easy. But it's the "good way" of going through the tough stuff  "therein, and ye shall find rest unto your souls" (Jeremiah 6:16). This I testify. 

Christ makes it possible for me to see through the dark, for light is always brighter. 

No comments: