Sunday, June 19, 2016

"...live in thanksgiving daily, for the many mercies and blessings which He doth bestow upon you" (Alma 34:38)

I have had a whole new view to "live in thanksgiving daily" (Alma 34:38). If I read that scripture in context, the actual sentence is, "live in thanksgiving daily, for the many mercies and blessings which He doth bestow upon you" (Alma 34:38). I used to believe that it just meant to say thank you for the big things; because mercy is a really big thing. But I am finding that it is actually a way of life and it is a way of finding joy in all things. Yes, I said all things.

Since I have been diagnosed with CRPS (learn more here) and I am still hoping for a miracle, I have had to change my way of doing things and more importantly, my way of living. I am not always able to enjoy all the activities I used to (which is a lot of stuff) and so living in thanksgiving daily has saved me by helping me see the Light that is in all things (see D&C 88:6-13). Yes, I still have the moments of "what the heck!" But, seeing the Light in everything has helped me not say that quite as frequently.

As I have tried to "give thanks in all things" I have started noticing the small stuff, or the "many mercies" in my everyday life. "Tender mercies" (see 1 Nephi 1:20) do not need to be big miracles or life changing experiences, but are the simple gifts of life that are given to each of us. I am learning that as I give thanks in everything (see D&C 98:1), I am truly finding joy. I am not longer finding myself comparing my life with other people's lives, but I am able to be happy for their successes and feel genuine sorrow for any suffering, pain, burden, or trial they may have. My understanding of the commandment: "In everything give thanks" (1 Thes. 5:18) has brought more joy, peace, love, and comfort in my life than I ever thought possible.

These are just a few of the things that have truly delivered me from being burdened to finding joy in each moment as I express thanks for these tender mercies:
  • my eyes to see the faces of my children and my wonderful husband
  • my feet so that I can walk from the couch to the table, or up or down the stair
  • being able to have the use of a crutch to help me walk when I am in great pain
  • my ears to hear the laughter and voices of my loved ones
  • the many foods that have so much flavor for my mouth and taste buds to enjoy
  • for beautiful music that can calm my spirit and music that I can sing my guts out to or even make up my own lyrics
  • for Monday's because I get to read my missionary son's emails 
  • for movies on those days that I need to be totally distracted and can't focus on anything else
  • funny voices that make me laugh (whether or not they are my own funny voices is only disclosed in private)
  • color that is so beautiful it touches my soul and brings me almost to tears, such as the color of the flowers in my backyard, or the humming birds deep emerald breast
  • pain which gives me to opportunity to slow down and ponder the power of the Atonement and the love God has for each of us. He truly loves us!
    one of my crutches
     
These seemingly everyday things have taught me to see that God is not just trying to teach me to be grateful, but He is showing me a new life. He is actually delivering me from an old way of living to His way of living. I am truly discovering the meaning of the doctrine: "Men are, that they might have joy" (2 Nephi 2:25), even in the midst of pain.
One of the beautiful sunsets viewed from my backyard

Yummy Chicken Friend Steak that I truly enjoyed

The most amazing Flourless Chocolate Cake that me friend made
The African Violets I've had for several
years that continue to bloom 
My son Stockton, with his mission companion standing
 in the background, serving in the Buenos Aires South Mission

Here is a short video that expresses living in thanksgiving daily very simply and beautifully. Enjoy!

No comments: