"Wherefore, gird up your loins and be prepared. Behold, the kingdom is yours and the enemy shall not overcome (D&C 38:9)." I am grateful for this scripture today...the blackness has been heavy and it has been a battle that has been tough. So as I read this I think about preparing for war and the challenges it brings.
To me, to gird up my loins is a symbol of making myself prepared to go to work or perhaps even to war. In Ephesians 6 it is the description of putting on the whole armor of God and preparing for battle. Part of that armour is to gird up my loins with truth (see Ephesians 6:14). I love this! The battle against the darkness is often filled with lies about who I truly am or what I am capable of doing. Having my loins girt about with truth includes the truth that I am a child of God. We are all God's children. This truth is vital for us to know and understand in order to win the battle against the darkness.
Having to gird up my loins is also a symbol of being pure and chaste, thus I must keep God's commandments in order to be prepared to fight the war that is before me. I must prepare to serve God daily and overcome the enemy of all righteousness (see D&C 10:5; Moroni 9:6; Alma 34:23). Scripture study, prayer, journal writing, and exercise are just a few things that have helped me when the battle is thick with darkness.
You know what? The whole purpose of winning this battle is to beat the darkness. Moroni said to his son Mormon: "And now, my beloved son...let us labor diligently; for if we should cease to labor, we should be brought under condemnation; for we have a labor to perform whilst in this tabernacle of clay, that we may conquer the enemy of all righteousness, and rest our souls in the kingdom of God" (Moroni 9:6). On my rough days, I can remember that the "labor to perform" is to conquer the enemy. I must keep trying, keep serving, keep fighting...no matter how hard the battle. Elder Jeffrey R. Holland said: "I simply say to us all, young and old, never give up. Keep trying, keep reaching, keep talking, keep praying- but never give up. Above all, never pull away from each other (Within the Clasp of Your Arms) .
The enemy shall not overcome. I will endure. And in the long run I shall "come off conqueror" (D&C 10:5). Just keep trying. Every little bit makes a difference.
| This is a close-up:of the detail Notice that everyone has been hand stitched. Every little bit makes a difference. Just keep trying! |
No comments:
Post a Comment