Saturday, June 25, 2016

"...and he that is not purified shall not abide the day" (D&C 38:8)

As I have been studying patience lately I have learned a lot and I know there is even more to learn. It has been eye opening for me to see how deeply patience affects my life and where I can improve on it. As I studied my scriptures today I had a couple of things stick out at me. Over the next couple of days I will share little bits at a time (these aren't necessarily complete or entire in their concepts). I think these "little bits" are things I need to ponder and apply in my life.

D&C 38:8 "...and he that is not purified shall not abide the day". This is the phrase (or mostly a word) that jumped out at me. Hence a definition of Purify: to make pure; free from anything that debases, pollutes, adulterates, or contaminates" (purify). I think that definition describes every single one of us, for none of us is 100% pure. We all have "stuff" that we could or need to clean out.

We are all going through our own experiences that help us be purified which hopefully leads to sanctification (but that's a whole other post). In order to live with God again we must be "pure and spotless" (Alma 13:12). Our trials and challenges help us in our purifying process. They aren't punishment or a statement that we aren't loved. Rather, the help we are given, from heaven and earth during this purification process is filled with love (see Revelation 3:19; D&C 95:1). Sometimes it may be hard to see, but truly, we are loved.

As we are each going through our own purification process it is hard enough without someone pointing out that we are "doing it wrong" or "they know a better way". I realized that in this purification process we all need to go through, there is no room for gossip, fault finding, backbiting, jealousy or envy (see 1 Timothy 5:13) from either direction. In our own purification process, it requires patience. Patience with ourselves, and patience with each other.

Sometimes someone may offer what they think is a kind word and I take it offensively. The fault lies with me when this happens. Rather than being offended, I can practice patience. I can practice gratitude that they care enough to share. I can practice forgiveness and let the offense go. As I am working on and going through my own purification process I can find great peace in being kind, loving others, and serving others. I think this is the best answer when I am offended: "For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile" (1 Peter 3:10).

So- that's what I learned from one little verse. Remember: You are loved!!!

P.S. Here is a little video from Sister Elaine S. Dalton. I love her quote from Pres. Joseph F. Smith about leading in everything that is purifying. Enjoy!


No comments: