Friday, November 30, 2012

"...to be spiritually minded is life eternal" (2 Nephi 9:39)

As I drove my son to school the other morning I must have cut a man off or something because when we stopped at the light the man just glared at me and did not smile. He appeared to be extremely angry, or at least that is what his look told me. I looked back at him and smiled a big smile, like this (I was in these clothes, and wearing my sunglasses, took this photo shortly after for full effect): 


My smile then melted into a genuine smile: 

The man then relaxed and actually smiled back. My son commented to me that the man must have been pretty angry. He asked me what I had done to tick him off. I said I didn't know, and I hadn't done it on purpose. It's not like I try and go around making people angry; that doesn't feel good. If anything, I prefer peace and definitely a smile back.

As I drove home I pondered the smile and what a difference it made. In 2 Nephi 9:39 it states: "Remember, to be carnally-minded is death, and to be spiritually minded is life eternal". Spiritually Minded Is Life Eternal- there is your S.M.I.L.E. When we focus on "the things that matter most" (Pres. Dieter F. Uchtdorf), the things that can be felt with the heart, then we are being spiritually minded. This may mean that "we have to forego some good things in order to choose others that are better or best because they develop faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and strengthen our families"(Elder Dallin H. Oaks). Spiritually minded things develop our faith and strengthen our families. Letting go of anger, forgiving, being patient, just to name a few things, can be felt with the heart and help develop faith and strengthen our families.

The Romans were reminded the importance of being spiritually minded, "For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is peace" (Romans 8:6). There is peace in our busy lives when we "seek this Jesus of whom the apostles and prophets have written" (Ether 12:41) in all we do and say. It can be a challenge to do this in a world filled with tight schedules, stress, and so many choices of how to spend our time, let alone our money. As we look back over our lives, the things that last the longest are the memories we create, our relationships we have with others, and our testimony of Jesus Christ, "The Prince of Peace" (Isaiah 9:62 Nephi 19:6). Pres Dieter F. Uchtdorf taught: "Diligently doing the things that matter most will lead us to the Savior of the world" (Of Things That Matter Most) and thus we will S.M.I.L.E.


Enjoy a short video: "Moments That Matter Most"


3 comments:

Nancy said...

Beautiful post, Jennifer.

Jaymi said...

This is our YW Camp theme this year. I love your post. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Shared your words on my fb page, and of course gave you credit. Thank you.