We decorated our Christmas tree this past weekend. I do enjoy decorating the tree and putting on the ornaments that hold many memories. Some of the ornaments are cherished gifts filled with love and care. I have three such ornaments that I want to share with you in particular. These three ornaments are hand made by three different friends and to me, each resembles a star. The women who have made and gave me these ornaments have left a lasting impression upon my heart, my life, and my spirit. They are women of God in faith, in action, and in how they live; and each woman is unique, just like the ornament they created for me.

As I have pondered these stars and their creators, I think they are a great representation of all women of God, each unique in our gifts, talents, shape, and size. No two are exactly alike. Yet, each woman is beautiful and shines in her own way. We are taught: "...the righteous shine forth in the kingdom of God" (
Alma 40:25); "and they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament" (
Daniel 12:23); "then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father" (
Matt. 13:43).

The world would have women believe their value is reflected in what they wear, in riches (see
Alma 4:6), in how much one weighs, how much she knows, in the "vain things of the world" (
3 Nephi 6:15). But women of God know they are more than "stuff" or "labels". I like what Sister Elaine S. Dalton, the General Young Women's President stated when she said, "I wish every...woman...would know and understand that your beauty- your "shine"- does not lie in makeup, gooey cream, or the latest clothing or hairstyles. It lies in your personal purity. When you live the standards and qualify for the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost, you can have a powerful impact in the world. Your example, even the light in your eyes, will influence others who see your "shine", and they will want to be like you" (
Now is the Time to Arise and Shine!). The "shine" she is talking about is the Spirit which "giveth light to every man that cometh into the world" (
D&C 84:46). The women who gave me these ornaments look nothing alike, come from very different back grounds, and a wide range of income. But, each of them "shine" with the Spirit because they "have all things common among them; therefore there [are] not rich and poor, bond and free, but they [are] all made free, and partakers of the heavenly gift" (
4 Nephi 1:3). Notice, it doesn't say all things
in common, but "all things common"- which is a state of the heart and when lived after this manner, it is
reflected in all areas of our lives.
I love the words from these two primary songs: "I am like a star shining brightly, smiling for the whole world to see. I can do and say, happy things each day, for I know Heavenly Father loves me" (
Primary Song #163). And the other: "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam to shine for Him each day" (
Primary Song #60). Each one of us is unique, with special gifts to give. What a great blessing to be a woman, a daughter of God and "shine" for the whole world to see; not in a vain or self centered way, but in a confident way that comes from knowing individually, I am "a beloved daughter of God" (
Sister Linda K. Burton) with individual gifts and talents to offer; most precious being a testimony of Christ and His power. This knowledge comes as we go forth in faith, and as Christ said: "Hold up your light that it may shine unto the world. Behold I am the light which ye shall hold up- that which ye have seen me do" (
3 Nephi 18:24).
I am truly blessed by great women and men who hold up their Light by doing and living. The interesting thing of it all...it is in the small things of life that their Light is reflected and most of them have no idea how far reaching their light really is. It pierces the dark and makes life brighter. Today is the day~Shine on!
No comments:
Post a Comment