My 10 year old son will still ask me to come and listen to him say his nightly prayer every once in a while. (I know this isn't going to last much longer, I will enjoy it while it does last). When he prays he will sometimes say, "Thank You for this wonderful world we have to live in". My son is spot on, we do have a wonderful world to live in, especially with all its modern conveniences and life of ease and comfort. "And it pleaseth God that He hath given all these things unto man" (
D&C 59:20). There aren't words to describe the world God created for us that is filled with beauty and joy.
As I have pondered my sons gratitude to Heavenly Father I have thought of so many blessings we now enjoy and possibly take for granted in our busy, everyday lives. I remember in my teenage years my grandfather would tell me how he remembered when television was first invented. Think of all the information that is shared through television (let alone through books, computer, classes, people) for our benefit and good: news, weather, educational shows, we can learn about every kind of animal and bird, plants, herbs, gardening, building and construction, the seasons, and the earth, cooking shows, cycling, and we can watch General Conference, just to name a few things. All this is "made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and gladden the heart. Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body, and to enliven the soul." (
D&C 59:18-19).
I love these words: "for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and gladden the heart...and to enliven the soul". The Lord has blessed us with an incredible world in which to live. I only listed a few of the things that make my everyday life easier, let alone gladden my heart, taste good, please my eye, smell good, strengthen my body, may use for clothes, or enliven my soul. I am sure you can come up with a few of your own items or ideas which bring any if not all of these blessings into your life daily.
Another quick thought about this "wonderful world we live in" is that not only do these items bless our lives by making it easier, more joyful and "gladden our hearts", but they also testify that there is a God. "And behold, all things...are created and made to bear record of [Christ], both things which are temporal, and things which are spiritual; things which are in the heavens above, and things which are on the earth, and things which are in the earth, and things which are under the earth, both above and beneath: all things bear record of [Christ]" (
Moses 6:63). The prophet Alma also taught: "...All things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator" (
Alma 30:44).
What a blessing to have all these witnesses of Christ surround us, to gladden our hearts, for our benefit and use, for taste and for smell and to strengthen our bodies and "enliven the soul" (
D&C 59:18-19). We really can "feel [our] Savior's love, in all the world around [us]" (
Children's Songbook #74) as we give thanks for the beauty and creations that have been given to us.
~Here are a few items/blessings that gladden my heart, enliven my soul, or otherwise...
 |
Indoor plumbing...it gladdens my heart because its indoors and it got fixed.
|
 |
| Cycling...this particular picture was taken just before a ride with my dad and my brother-in-law around Bear Lake. Love this sport!!! |
 |
| Basket weaving...definitely cheaper than therapy. |
 |
| Cherry pie our 10 year old son made, with gluten free crust so his sister could eat it, too. It tasted as good as it looks! |
 |
| Roses from my back yard neighbors. I love yellow roses! |
 |
| The temple is a place I love to attend. (Click here to learn about why I attend temples.) |
 |
This little group of people...let me just say, my heart soars when I think of them. I love spending time with them.
After looking at all of these incredible blessings in my life, I testify, there is a God. He lives. He loves us. And He knows our needs, our pains, our desires, our hopes, our dreams, our every thing. He also knows what is best for us. Our challenge is to trust Him, The Creator of this beautiful world we live in.
|
No comments:
Post a Comment