Sometimes, things just go wrong and for no apparent reason. The power goes out on the best of us, and we are cold, hungry, tired, and we have an infection all at the same time. Things could definitely be worse (I have experienced way worse and I try to accept what I am given and be grateful...note the try, it doesn't mean that I am happy about it, or that it is easy). One of the conclusions that I have come to when bad things happen to good people (which happens all the time), is that "[God] maketh His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust" (Matt. 5:45). Power outages, unfortunately, don't skip homes that are paying tithing, or even paying their electrical bills. They happen to whomever happens to be on that grid. Power outages happen to the best of us. They make life inconvenient, change our routine, test our patience, make us slow down, sometimes they make us questions why things have to happen to us, sometimes they may even make us question our faith. These are not necessarily bad things.
Another conclusion I have come to about bad things happening to good people is that unbeknownst to us, these trials, or power outages, can actually be strength building opportunities for us. The Lord has said, "I will try the faith of my people" (3 Nephi 26:11) and taught through His prophets "...ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith" (Ether 12:6). Sometimes, as I am riding my bike up a long, steep hill I have to look down rather than up. This is the proper placement for my head. The hill looks flatter, I am able to focus on each stroke as I pedal, and I slowly, oh so slowly, make my way to the top. It is with my head down, humbled in prayer that is in the proper position that makes all the difference, when I need help in my deepest, and darkest hours of my "power outages". Elder Henry B. Eyring said, "Trouble itself can be your way to strengthen and finally gain unshakable faith" (Mountains to Climb).
Life isn't always filled with lights and without its storms. I sometimes wish it were. But then I look back at all the growth that has come form all that hard work, diligence, and perseverance of pedaling up those long, steep hills and you know what? I wouldn't change a thing. I to add my voice with the prophet Nephi and say, "I know that [Christ] loveth His children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things" (1 Nephi 11:17). Things work out, if not in this life, then in the next. We are loved beyond measure and we are not left alone in the dark. This I testify.
| The day after the storm...and after the power outage. The sun always comes out after the storm. |
| Note how the branch is hanging down from the weight of the snow, this is several hours after the storm has ended. |
| The mountains from our home. I am standing in our driveway. We received at least a foot or more of snow, and the mountains received 48" or more! |
No comments:
Post a Comment