I love the story of Joseph, the son of Jacob, found in Genesis 37-45. I have read and reread it as it is a powerful and moving story of faith, forgiveness, and seeing the hand of God in the midst of affliction. In this story I see that suffering is not in vain. Perhaps that is why I love it so much.
As I read about Joseph and all that he goes through, he never gets mad at God. He continues to turn towards God. His brothers sold him into slavery. He is cast into prison for very unfair reasons. In fact, he was even obeying the commandments and he was cast into prison! He interprets the dreams of the Pharaoh’s baker and butler, and the butler promises him that when he is out he will remember him, but of course he doesn’t. It all seems so unfair. Then, of course, the Pharaoh has a dream and Joseph interprets his dream. The seven fat cows and the seven lean cows. The seven ears of corn “full and good” and the seven ears of corn “thin and blasted” which devour the good ears of corn. Joseph tells Pharaoh that “God hath shewed Pharaoh what he is about to do” (Gen. 41:25). The interpretation is that there will be seven years of prosperity and seven years of famine. Joseph is then put in charge of preparing all of Egypt so they could survive the seven years of famine.
After Joseph has prepared all of Egypt and they are well into two years of the famine, his brothers show up asking for food. It is amazing to me to read of Joseph’s heart. He wants to help his family. He weeps as he hears his brothers talk, not out of hate, but out of love. He has been through so much, and his brothers are the ones who put him there. When Joseph reveals himself to his brothers after having fed them twice (you need to read this part of the story) and testing them, he doesn’t blame them for all he’s been through. Instead he says, “Now, therefore be not grieved, nor angry with yourselves, that ye sold me hither: for God did send me before you to preserve life…So now it was not you that sent me hither, but God…” (Gen. 45:5-8). Isn’t that amazing! God was in the works all along. God knew exactly what needed to happen so that Joseph’s family could be preserved. In the process of it all Joseph is refined, prepared to lead and made a great prophet.
I love this story. I know God is in the little workings of my life. At any time I can choose to blame God for my problems and my pain, or I can learn from them and “draw near unto Him, and He will draw near unto me.” (D&C 88: 63) It is my choice. That’s why I love my Father in Heaven and my Savior Jesus Christ, they will never ever force me to follow them. It is always my choice. And when I choose to follow them, I am always blessed. Yes, just as Joseph, I am tried, there is a guarantee I will be tried, and I have and I am sure I will continue to be tried (D&C 98: 12, 14), but I know that His hand is guiding my life. He has the bigger picture in mind. He sees what I cannot see, this I testify, and I am so glad He does!
No comments:
Post a Comment