Saturday, March 20, 2010

"But I do not joy in my own success alone, but my joy is more full because of the success of my brethren..." (Alma 29:14)

My son came home yesterday from his swim meet and taught me a two great lesson. He came into the house and yelled triumphantly, “I got 28th place!” He was so happy with his accomplishment. He was delighted to be in 28th place and he was also happy for those who had done better than he had. In my mind, I was thinking, really? You are happy being in 28th place? Guess what? He really was happy and content because he had done his best and had worked hard to get there.

As I have thought about this I think that this is one of life’s greatest challenges, to be happy that I am where I am. Let me explain. I have always wanted to be successful in my art. I have not been in the worlds terms, meaning I don’t sell it and I haven’t made a name for myself at all. I have not given my art the time it needs to be the artist that is well known or to have enough art to sell. I am also one that gives my “art” away. I have always struggled with the fact that I am not really “successful”, more so because I had a professor who told me that I would “never amount to much except be a mom”. In my life now, I realize that I am not a J. Kirk Richards (if you don’t know who he is look him up, a fabulous and very talented artist), nor am I ever going to be a Sherri Dew (not an artist, but what a powerful speaker and writer!) Nope, I am not going to be them. I am going to be and am a Jennifer Bonney Slack, in “28th place” and I am discovering -what a great place to be!

The reason it is so great is because Christ created me just to be me. He needs a Jennifer Bonney Slack. He already has all the other people filling their own slots. He doesn’t need two 1st places, or two 20th places. He needs me to fill my “28th place.” And He needs me to do my very best. Some days my best is better than others, but overall, in the big picture, He just needs me to be me. Just as Christ is the “light of the sun” and “the light of the moon” and “the light of the stars”, each having their individual purpose, He is also the “light which shineth, which giveth [me] light” (D&C 88:7-11) and He needs me to fulfill my purpose. He needs each of us to be our best “28th place!”

The other thing my son did was be so excited for the friend that had received 4 medals at the swim meet. She placed in top positions to receive those medals. He was thrilled for her. It was so sweet to see him be so excited for her. This is the second lesson he taught me. In life, someone is always going to be better than I am at something, and someone is always going to be worse at something than I am. Why the need to compare? In the end, Christ makes it all even, as I repent and turn to Him. That is one of the wonderful blessings of the atonement. Christ makes everything work out perfectly. So, the best thing I can do is cheer others on and “help others on their way” (Primary Children’s songbook, 34.) It sure feels better than self pity or even envy. It was pure delight to see my son rejoice in the success of others. Elder Neal A. Maxwell said, “True believers rejoice in the success of others. When someone seems to surpass them, spiritually or temporally, true believers give them heartfelt and sincere praise. They don’t regard colleagues as competitors.” (Neal A. Maxwell, “True Believers,” New Era, Apr 1994, 20)

I love it when I can learn from my 10 year old….does this count as “out of the mouths of babes?” (Matt 21:16) He is wise beyond his years. Life is good. This I testify.

No comments: