Have you ever taken the time to just listen? I mean really listen? Let me explain. When I say “listen”, I mean to give up the preconceived notions of what I expect to hear, or the things I expect to happen, or want to “hear”, and wait patiently for the sounds, and feelings to come. It is an interesting experience to practice listening. Perhaps I should say, have you taken the time to “practice hearing”?
To practice hearing in our day it is a real challenge. There are many distractions and it is so easy to have my ears filled with sound for me. The mp3 player that I have easily fills my ears with music, or the TV with plenty of voices. The movie I watch or the books I read are great escapes and fill my ears with plenty of things so that I don’t have to really listen. So, if I want to really “listen”…I actually have to have it quiet. Yup, quiet. It is a challenge to find quiet and to be content with quiet. Content with quiet…and then to actually listen. What am I really hearing?
I think this passage of scripture is describing us… “They have mouths, but they speak not: eyes have they, but they see not: They have ears, but they hear not: noses have they, but they smell not…” (Psalms 115:5-6) We have these wonderful senses to experience what God has in store for us, but we are too busy with our lives to actually experience the life God wants for us.
I want to share two of the things I have experienced when I have actually taken the time to “hear” that have changed and shaped my life and continue to have a powerful impact on me.
In the quiet, I have pondered the true event of a young 14 year old boy who went into a grove of trees seeking for answers about God. His prayer was miraculously answered by the appearance of God the Father, and His Son, Jesus Christ. In the quiet, I have “heard, felt, and seen” that this is true. I did not have an angel come and manifest this to me. I had to take the time to “hear” and to “feel” and to “see”. This young boy was Joseph Smith. He eventually became a prophet of God and restored The Church of Jesus Christ on the earth, through the authority of Jesus Christ. This I testify is true. Joseph Smith actually saw God the Father and Jesus Christ. (JS-H 1:7-17)
In the quiet I have also read and reread the words of God which are recorded in The Holy Bible and The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ. They testify of the divinity of Jesus Christ and His mission on the earth. He is God’s Son. He lived, taught, set an example, suffered, bled, died, and was resurrected for us so that we, if we exercise faith in Him, and repent, would not have to suffer as He did and can be resurrected and live with our Father in Heaven again. I have heard, felt, and my knowledge and understanding continues to grow of His divinity. Christ lives! This I testify.
To practice “listening” and “hearing” I have to be willing to also act upon what I have heard. I must have "ears to hear" (Matt. 13:9). So, if I hear it and it true…even though it may go against my preconceived notions, I have a choice to act, or not to act. In choosing to ignore what I “hear” I may lose out on opportunities to “hear” and “listen” for more. If I act upon what I “hear” I will be given opportunities to “hear” more truth. It is a powerful experience to “hear” truth and to act upon it. I must take time to “hear” everyday. Some days it is easier than others to make the time to “hear”. But it is always worth the effort. This I testify.
No comments:
Post a Comment