Friday, March 19, 2010

"...In the service of your fellow beings..." Mosiah 2:17

My heart is so full of gratitude for all that I have been through lately. About eleven days ago I had surgery that I knew I would need recovery time from, but I had no idea just how much. After the surgery I felt great. I really thought I would have 3 weeks of blissful time to do the stuff I wanted to do, like weave and ceramics. I was so excited for the personal time. I also thought I would be able to go to lunch and spend time with friends, just no driving and no heavy lifting. Piece of cake. Kind of a mini-vacation even. How wrong I was.

After the surgery, I thought it was easier than having a baby…but about four days in, I started feeling worse than I had after the surgery. My husband had to go out of town on Monday for the week and I really thought I would be able to handle everything while he was gone. I ended up at the doctors on Tuesday, a week out from surgery. Infection. Man did that wipe me out! And boy was I in pain. I could barely walk. Antibiotics and I usually don’t usually get along too well. But I am so grateful for them this time; after three days I am feeling better. Not like I was after the surgery, but I am on my way.

Now, I share this personal information with you, not because I want sympathy, far from it; but because I have been so blessed through all of this. There have been so many friends, neighbors, family, and loved ones who have taken care of me and my family by calling (yes those phone calls make a very big difference!), making meals, visiting, sending flowers and cards, checking on us, serving in so many little and big ways. Getting up early, and I mean early (4:40am) to take our kids to water-polo practice in the morning. Taking me to the doctors office at short notice, picking up kids, dropping kids off, or forgotten items off, or taking kids to events and cheering them on when I couldn't be there. Or even just a pick me up text or facebook message. There has been so much love expressed through all of this. You know what? Even though I didn’t get to do what I thought I would, I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Even the pain. I have seen and witnessed Christ-like love from so many people it fills my soul with joy! There is great hope in the world because of so many people.

To me, this is truly what Christ has taught and I am so grateful to be the recipient of such love and service. It is hard to receive service. I am way more comfortable being on the other end and giving service than receiving it. But when I see that my children are learning first hand “…when you are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God” (Mosiah 2:17); and “inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me” (Matt. 25:40), I see and have learned that being the receiver as well as the giver is truly a blessing. I am humbled by the continued love from all these precious people whom God has placed in my life. I see the hand of God, once again, in my life, as He not only blesses my life and the life of our family, but also the lives of all who have served us. He is just waiting to bless us as we give and receive service, one of many His ways of sharing His love with us. This I testify.

No comments: