Tuesday, April 03, 2018

"...their souls did expand..." (Alma 5:9)

Over the past two years, due to the challenge of not being able to exercise much, I have been open to learning a lot more about expanding, or enlarging. Now, this is not something that I have particularly sought after...in fact, it has sometimes been quite obnoxious due to the enormity of the consequences of the craving to eat more and the ability to exercise less. Regardless of the size of things (all puns intended), I have come to learn that there are several blessings which come with enlarging, or expanding, but they don't necessarily affect the waistline. Over the next couple of days I will post some of my thoughts about the topic of expanding and enlarging.

This first insight comes from Alma the younger as he teaches us about examining ourselves in order to be filled with the love and peace of God.
"And again I ask, were the bands of death broken, and the chains of hell which encircled them about, were they loosed? I say unto you, Yea, they were loosed, and their souls did expand, and they did sing redeeming love. And I say unto you that they were saved" (Alma 5:9 italics added).

I love the phrase, "and their souls did expand". Imagine having your soul, your spirit and body expand, enlarge and get bigger, as it is filled with the redeeming love of Jesus Christ. This literally changes your heart (see Alma 5:7,12-14,26).

The expansion of our souls comes after the chains of death are loosed. Christ loosens the chains of death through the power of His resurrection. And He loosens the chains of hell when we turn to Him through the means of repentance and grace (see Alma 5:7,9-10).

Ponder how you are able to expand and get larger spiritually when you turn your heart and thoughts to Christ. He says, "Learn of me, listen to my words; walk in the meekness of my Spirit, and ye shall have peace in me" (D&C 19:23). Nowadays, peace is a commodity that is priceless! It's definitely worth the time to learn of Him and listen to Him.

We expand when we are no longer controlled by fear, but are free to move and live because we are filled with faith (see 2 Tim. 1:7). I have experienced this expansion of faith in Christ in my own life. It is an incredible power that is soul expanding. This kind of enlargement is one that I actually seek for and desire on a daily basis. This is a great description of what I have felt: "...for ye know that the word hath swelled your souls, and ye also know that it hath sprouted up, that your understanding doth begin to be enlightened, and your mind doth begin to expand" (Alma 32:34). Just ponder that kind of expansion. (It's "weigh" better than a triple chin (pun and understatement intended).)

Go ahead, gain some "weight" (see D&C 63:66), it really is soul expanding.

My expanding triple chins...worth every soul expanding that occurs.
P.S. Please excuse my puniness as I am very tired and exhausted from the events that life has brought to me. I know that in the long run, it is all for my good.

1 comment:

Patricia Smith said...

I like your analogy. It makes me smile.:-)