Sunday, July 13, 2014

"Forgive them, for they know not what they do" (Luke 23:34)

I was riding my trike inside some work cones up a hill and approaching a green light. I knew there was traffic to my left. I was cruising along pretty well and entered the intersection when a small, blue, beater car turned right in front of me, just missing me. I sat up straight in my seat and raised my right arm and shook my fist at the driver as he sped away. My arm hurt so badly-I had just reacted and forgetting that I can't raise my arm that high yet without pain. (I was reminded pretty quickly...) I was pretty ticked-off as I headed down the other side of the hill. Then, I thought, "Hey, Jennifer, you didn't flip them off! And you didn't cuss at them!" I felt so much better. And then another thought entered my mind, "Forgive them, for they know not what they do" (Luke 23:34). That thought has changed my perspective about a lot of things.

This one little thought has made a difference in my reaction lately, and hopefully it will be a long term effect. Now, when someone cuts me off while riding or even driving, I think, "Forgive them, for they know not what they do". When someone says something that is rude, or offensive, I think, "Forgive them, for they know not what they do". When my children don't do what I expect or are disrespectful, I think, "Forgive them, for they know not what they do". As I have done this I have noticed that I am able to respond in a more calm and kind manner rather than reacting with anger, frustration, or even rudeness back.

Pondering the words from President James E. Faust (1920-2007) has made me wonder if keeping this statement in my heart will have long term effects. He says: "We need to recognize and acknowledge angry feelings (which I definitely had when the little, blue, beater car nearly hit me). It will take humility to do this, but if we will get on our knees and ask Heavenly Father for a feeling of forgiveness, He will help us. The Lord requires us "to forgive all men" for our own good because "hatred retards spiritual growth" (The Healing Power of the Atonement). To forgive others "is a divine attribute" (Forgiveness).

Keep moving forward, keep forgiving. I can tell you my ride was so much better after I had that thought, "Forgive them, for they know not what they do". And my days have been better since I have continued to ponder it. Life is good. And forgiving makes it even better. This I testify.

No comments: