I rode away full of energy and a heart full of happiness. As I did so, I thought of how often I have gone too far without drinking or even sharing the water I have... meaning, the real water that will quench all thirst. Christ said to the Samaritan woman at the well, "But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life" (John 4:14 (6-15)). Christ isn't just handing out a bottle of water to be handed back after we take a swig or two. No, He is giving us, as we keep His commandments, "a well of living water, springing up unto everlasting life" (D&C 63:23).
H. David Burton, the Presiding Bishop at the time, said this of living water: "It is this living water, freely offered by Jesus Christ, that we all seek to quench our own spiritual thirst and that is critically needed to end the gospel drought that continues to plague mankind. As His disciples, we are the primary distribution system for delivering the living water from its everlasting source to His cherished children in need. We largely determine who will receive the water as we, by our service, control the irrigation system headgates. We preserve the purity of the water as we reflect to the world the value of the living water in our own lives. If we irrigate when the living water is required, rather than when it is convenient for us, we determine its vitality. It is only the living water of Jesus Christ that can and will bring a happy, successful, and everlasting life to the children of men" (The Living Water of Jesus Christ).
Water is beautifully symbolic. It is "a symbol of the Lord Jesus Christ and His teachings. As water is essential to sustain physical life, the Savior and His teachings (living water) are essential for eternal life" (The Guide to the Scriptures/ Living water). The interesting thing about drinking is that we can be offered water, but it is up to us to drink, both physically and spiritually. "Yea, if they will come, they may, and partake of the waters of life freely" (D&C 10:66). We get to choose whether or not we want to partake, or to offer water to others around us through small acts of kindness, service, and sometimes great sacrifice. When we receive this water, the Living Water of Jesus Christ, "with joy shall [we] draw water out of the wells of salvation" (Isaiah 12:3). It feels so good to drink! It feels even better when I have enough and to share. For with Christ, I testify, we "shall never thirst" (John 4:14) and we will have plenty to offer to others.
![]() |
| Christ with the Samaritan Woman at the Well by Simon Dewey |

No comments:
Post a Comment