This was a ride in the true sense of the word. It was not a contest, but a ride. All too often in life the competitive side of our natural man comes charging in and wants to take control, or be the best, fastest, better than, or greater than all other participants when in reality, it's a ride...not a competition and there is no need to contend for one's place or position while on a ride. When David told Ethan to "enjoy the ride" I couldn't help think of this scripture: "Adam fell that men might be; men are, that they might have joy" (2 Nephi 2:25). The joy comes in the journey!
I had started out on this ride expecting to ride fast, keep up with everyone, and be back in time for lunch. Well, it turned out to be different and in the long run (or ride in this case), one that will stand out in my mind forever. It was an incredible experience to watch my son continue pedaling hour after hour, enduring the heat, and receiving encouragement from his Uncle David. Pres. Monson says it so beautifully about enjoying the journey now: "This is our one and only chance at mortal life- here and now. The longer we live, the greater is our realization that it is brief. Opportunities come, and then they are gone. I believe that among the greatest lessons we are to learn in this short sojourn upon the earth are lessons that help us distinguish between what is important and what is not. I plead with you not to let those most important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive and nonexistent future when you will have time to do all that you want to do. Instead, find joy in the journey- now" (Finding Joy in the Journey).
On that ride I learned so many subtle, but powerful lessons and the ride ended up being one of incredible joy. While seeing my son Ethan with his Uncle David encouraging him and patiently riding beside him, I understood more clearly that the Savior will always be there for us. He says, "I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you" (John 14:18). There are so many times when we think we are on our own, and yet he will always be there to comfort and guide us on our life's journey. We are told, "...I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up" (D&C 84:88). Most often, the angels beside us are our family members, friends, and people we associate with on a regular basis. Elder Jeffrey R. Holland teaches us this about angels:
"But when we speak of those who are instruments in the hand of God, we are reminded that not all angels are from the other side of the veil. Some of them we walk with and talk with-here, now, every day. Some of them reside in our neighborhoods. Some of them gave birth to us, and in my case, one of them consented to marry me. Indeed heaven never seems close than when we see the love of God manifested in the kindness and devotion of people so good and so pure that angelic is the only word that comes to mind" (The ministry of Angels).
This ride called life is meant to be enjoyed, and yes, endured well. As a mother who witnessed a miracle of her son finishing the longest ride he had attempted (the longest he had ridden was 4 miles prior to attempting this 50 mile ride), I testify that we are never alone, we will never be left comfortless (see John 14:18), and there will be angels in our lives to "bear [us] up".
P.S. Know you are loved!
| Riding behind Ethan and David |
| We did it! Ethan, David, and me. It was a journey of great joy :) |
1 comment:
Great pic, Jennifer. Love seeing your happy face!
Post a Comment