We are all asked to sacrifice and be tried as Abraham: "Therefore, they must needs be chastened and tried, even as Abraham, who was commanded to offer up his only son" (D&C 101:4). We are all asked to live the law of sacrifice so that we might be refined, purified, and sanctified. We are accepted of the Lord when we are willing to keep our covenants by sacrifice. "Verily I say unto you, all among them who know their hearts are honest, and are broken, and their spirits contrite, and are willing to observe their covenants by sacrifice- yea, every sacrifice which I, the Lord, shall command- they are accepted of me" (D&C 97:8; see also D&C 52:15; D&C 132:50; Moses 5:23).
As I was praying the other day I said something like this: "Heavenly Father, please protect and bless my children, that they may be strong and choose good for themselves. I desire this even if I need to sacrifice my own life if necessary". Well, the thought came to me that dying wasn't the kind of sacrifice God needed me to make, but to give up my life, the life I had planned out. That would mean that I may not have the life I thought I should have, but that I am willing to give up whatever it takes, even enduring to the end, "[keeping His] commandments, and [seeking] to bring forth and establish the cause of Zion" (D&C 6:6; D&C 11:6). Zion is defined as "the pure in heart" (D&C 92:21). I now understand that my life should be the kind of life God needs me to live that I might "seek to bring forth [His] Zion" (1 Nephi 13:37).
As I have pondered this idea of giving up my own life there have been several examples that have come to my mind of what this means. Some sacrifices are more noticeable than others.
A dear friend of mine suffered a stroke after a "routine" surgery. It is now very difficult for her to communicate with her husband and children. She is very limited in how she communicates and also restricted in fully caring for herself. Her husband now cares for her. They are both living the law of sacrifice as they have given up their lives they had planned out. Rather they are helping to bring forth Zion as they endure this refining and learning process.
A friend of mine was married in the temple, and her marriage didn't go the way she had planned. She ended up being a single mother and raising her 4 children alone. This wasn't what she had planned for her life. But, she lives the law of sacrifice as she continues to keep her covenants, cares for her children, and endures to the end, thus helping to "bring forth Zion".
Some may be asked to sacrifice their lives as these dear friends have, but most of the time, the sacrifices which we are asked to make are simple day to day actions of kindness when none seems warranted, or keeping the Sabbath day holy, or to "love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you" (Luke 6:27-28), to only name a few. I must ask myself, what am I willing to sacrifice? Am I willing to sacrifice all things that Zion may be brought forth?
Joseph Smith taught: "'A religion that does not require the sacrifice of all things never has the power sufficient to produce the faith necessary unto life and salvation'. In the eternal perspective, the blessings obtained by sacrifice are greater than anything that is given up" (Sacrifice). For the longest time I never really understood what this was trying to teach me. I now know that sacrifice isn't always black and white, nor is it always life or death. We are not all asked as Abraham, "Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest...and offer him there for a burnt offering..." (Gen 22:2). Sometimes, it is enduring to the end that can be the most challenging sacrifice, or perhaps giving up the life we thought we were suppose to have, or simply giving up that Sunday so that I might worship the God we profess to love.
How can we live the law of sacrifice every day, that of a "broken heart and a contrite spirit" (3 Nephi 9:20)? "Therefore, I would that ye should be steadfast and immovable, always abounding in good works, that Christ, the Lord God Omnipotent, may seal you his, that you may be brought to heaven, that ye may have everlasting salvation and eternal life, through the wisdom, and power, and justice, and mercy of Him who created all things, in heaven and in earth, who is God above all" (Mosiah 5:15). As we live the law of sacrifice by keeping our covenants, thus helping to bring forth Zion, we are accepted of God (see D&C 97:8). This I testify.
![]() |
| A depiction of Abraham and Issac. May we all be as willing to obey the Lord's commands. |

No comments:
Post a Comment