I love spring! I love the beautiful blossoms and flowers and green that is spreading as far as my eye can see. It is beautiful. All these blossoms remind me of the fruit that will come. It is so yummy and delicious to the taste. I love harvesting the fruits and sharing them with others, whether fresh, or if I am able to preserve it and bottle it. It is such a great blessing to have such incredible fruit.
As I have thought of this fruit, it has led me to think about the fruit on the tree of life, in Lehi's dream. Nephi asks to understand his fathers dream and is shown and taught the symbols of these items in the dream. One of the items is "the tree which is precious above all" (1 Nephi 11:9). Lehi says of the tree and the fruit: "I beheld a tree, whose fruit was desirable to make one happy. And it came to pass that I did go forth and partake of the fruit thereof; and I beheld that it was most sweet, above all that I ever before tasted. Yea, and I beheld that the fruit thereof was white, to exceed all the whiteness that I had ever seen. And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceedingly great joy; wherefore, I began to be desirous that my family should partake of it also; for I knew that it was desirable above all other fruit" (1 Nephi 8:10-12). Nephi is taught the symbol of the tree. "Behold the Lamb of God, yea, even the Son of the Eternal Father! Knowest thou the meaning of the tree which thy father saw? And I answered him, saying: Yea, it is the love of God, which sheddeth itself abroad in the hearts of the children of men; wherefore, it is the most desirable above all things" (1 Nephi 11:21-22).
The love of God. I had always thought of it as Jesus Christ, which is true. But also, the love of God, to love God more than anyone or anything, which includes pride, stuff, objects, money, knowledge-anything. President Ezra Taft Benson said: "To love God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength is all-consuming and all-encompassing. It is no lukewarm endeavor. It is total commitment of our very being- physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually- to a love of the Lord" (The Great Commandment). To love God in this manner is to be obedient, which Christ was perfectly. "And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment" (Mark 12:30) John says: "For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments: and His commandments are not grievous" (1 John 5:3).
This symbol of the tree of life, to love God and keep His commandments, was very eye opening. To have the love of God and be obedient to His commandments is "most sweet" and shall surely fill our souls with "exceedingly great joy" (1 Nephi 8:11-12). I have see the fruit that comes from obedience. It doesn't mean that life is without trial or heartache. It does mean that the fruit, or obedience is "desirable to make one happy" and will fill our souls with "exceedingly great joy" (1 Nephi 8:10,12). I have experienced this in my own life, and I invite you to come and partake, to be filled with the love of God and joy beyond measure!
No comments:
Post a Comment