Friday, March 14, 2014

"And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:7)

I have been asking a lot of questions lately about various things in my life. My niece, Sarah Bonney, called them "questions of the soul" (her blog here). I have truly been seeking answers to many things, not complicated things, just different areas of my life that I want to change, improve, and understand better. I decided to reread the Conference issue of the Ensign (see link here). The Lord has said: "Search these commandments, for they are true and faithful, and the prophecies and promises which are in them shall all be fulfilled. What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall be fulfilled whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same" (D&C 1:37-38). I was amazed and humbled by the answers that were right there on the pages of the Conference issues of the Ensign! My understanding and testimony of the fact that we are led by a prophet, apostles, and servants of the Lord has increased and been strengthened. I have been filled with peace, and it is a great feeling! Here are just a few of the things that servants of the Lord have said concerning the questions of my soul:

Elder D. Todd Christofferson: "A woman's moral influence is nowhere more powerfully felt or more beneficially employed than in the home...A pernicious philosophy that undermines women's moral influence is the devaluation of marriage and of motherhood and homemaking as a career...there is not a higher good than motherhood and fatherhood in marriage. There is no superior career, and no amount of money, authority, or public acclaim can exceed the ultimate rewards of family. Whatever else a woman may accomplish, her moral influence is no more optimally employed than here" (The Moral Force of Women).

Elder Timothy J. Dyches: "If you feel unclean, unloved, unhappy, unworthy, or unwhole, remember 'all that is unfair about life can be made right through the Atonement of Jesus Christ'. Have faith and patience in the Savior's timing and purposes for you. 'Be not afraid, only believe' (Mark 5:36)" (Wilt Thou Be Made Whole?).

Elder M. Russell Ballard said: "There is no greater joy in life than being anxiously engaged in the service of the Lord. The key is that you be inspired of God, that you ask Him for direction and then go and do as the Spirit prompts you" (Put Your Trust in the Lord).

Sister Bonnie L. Oscarson: "As we act upon the doctrines of the gospel and put them into daily practice, we will become converted and will become the means of accomplishing much good in our families and in the world" (Be Ye Converted).

Pres. Thomas S. Monson, the Lord's prophet said: "Our Heavenly who gives us so much to delight in, also knows that we learn and grow and become stronger as we face and survive the trials through which we must pass...such difficulties allow us to change for the better, to rebuild our lives in the way our Heavenly Father teaches us, and to become something different from what we were-better than we were, more understanding that we were, more empathetic that we were, with stronger testimonites than we had before. This should be our purpose- to persevere and endure, yes, but also to become more spiritually refined as we make our way through sunshine and sorrow" (I Will Not Fail Thee, nor Forsake Thee).

I testify that these are the words of the Lord through His servants. I know that as we search the scriptures, pray, and do His will, we will have "the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:7). I invite you to search the words of the prophets of old through scripture study, and the current prophets by rereading their words from past General Conferences. The words of the Lord can also be heard in the upcoming General Conference on March 29th, April 5-6, 2014 (watch here). I promise, that as you listen, study, and seek with an open heart, the questions of your soul will be answered and you shall receive peace with "passeth all understanding".


No comments: