Thursday, April 25, 2019

"... the Lord God caused that there should be a furious wind blow upon the face of the waters, towards the promised land..." (Ether 6:5)

There is an incredible analogy in Ether chapter 6. As I read it I felt like it was describing 2018 for me. This has been my experience, using the words from Ether:
"...they were many times buried in the depths of the sea, because of the mountain waves which broke upon them, and also the great and terrible tempests which were caused by the fierceness of the wind" (Ether 6:6). 
Being buried in the "depths of the sea" over and over, I am impressed by what was pushing them forward in their journey. It was the wind! "The wind did never cease to blow towards the promised land while they were upon the waters; and thus they were driven forth before the wind" (Ether 6:8). Even when we feel as though we are drowning, or that perhaps we are constantly being hit with "mountain waves", God has a plan and is "blowing" us forward, towards the "promised land". I know it is sometimes through our trials in which we are blown forward. I'll be honest, knowing this, doesn't make it any easier. Wind, fierce wind, is hard to be in and can cause horrendous damage.

Nevertheless, as I was "...driven forth; ...no monster of the sea could could break [me], neither whale that could mar [me]; and [I] did have light continually, whether it was above the water or under the water" (Ether 6:10). God does and will continue to give me, and you, light even when we may feel as though we are "under the water". I love the phrase, "no monster could break them" (Ether 6:10). There were moments when I was not sure I could handle another "drop" on top of what I was already experiencing. But then, after changing my prayers from the demand, "...take away this cup from me" to "nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt" (Mark 14:36; see also Matt 26:39, 42), I would be given (and continue to be given) the strength needed to go forward another day, and sometimes another moment. 

As I was buried in a sea of challenges, which I felt on all sides, I prayed more, prayed differently, and expressed gratitude over and over to my Father in Heaven just as the people of the brother of Jared did. "And they did sing praises unto the Lord; yea, the brother of Jared did sing praises unto the Lord, and he did thank and praise the Lord all the day long; and when the night came, they did not cease to praise the Lord" (Ether 6:9). When I was "encompassed about by many waters [I] did cry unto the Lord, and He did bring [me] forth again upon the top of the waters" (Ether 6:7). As I expressed gratitude for the blessings that He was constantly giving me rather than focusing on troubles that surround me I became more aware of just how much He was truly there with me.

One analogy which took on a new insight for me was the phrase "tight like unto a dish". The verse reads: "...when they were buried in the deep there was no water that could hurt them, their vessels being tight like unto a dish, and also they were tight like unto the ark of Noah; therefore when they were encompassed about by many waters they did cry unto the Lord, and He did bring them forth again upon the top of the waters" (Ether 6:7). Being "tight like unto a dish" is being sealed, safe and secure. No contents fall out of a tightly sealed jar. I have pondered about being "tight" and I realize that my conversations with God through my prayers and scripture study, and keeping my covenants were symbolic of being "tight". We sometimes, in describing a relationship, use the phrase "we are tight". I want to be "tight" with God. So tight, that when I am "buried in the deep" water there will be no water, nor trial, nor flooding- that could hurt me spiritually.

I want you to know that I know God truly cares about what happens and is happening to us. He loves us so very much! He is aware of us and He is the "wind" which is pushing us, and guiding us towards the promised land- to be with Him again. That's what good parents do for us, they love us and guide us, and help us whether we are below or above the water. This I testify.


No comments: