Tuesday, January 01, 2019

"...Charity Never Faileth..." Moroni 10:46; (see also 1 Corinthians 13)

I have been pondering what I would want for a motto in 2019. I have decided that the Relief Society motto is exactly what I want to focus on and use to help me succeed in all areas of my life, especially relationships, in the coming year. The motto is "...Charity never faileth..." (Moroni 7:46). As I have thought charity and its power to bring about success, I have also been led to think about failure. Here are some of my musings.

Holding a grudge is an incredibly heavy weight to carry around. Grudges lead to failure in that they can and never will lift my spirits or make burdens lighter. Charity never faileth because "...it suffereth long" or in other words, is "long-suffering" (Moroni 7:45). When I have or show patience in spite of troubles, especially those caused by other people (see long-suffering) I will experience success, even relationships that are long lasting and enduring, in spite of challenges that will come.

Being mean will never help me feel better about any situation I may be in, whether or not it is justified. Charity never faileth because it "is kind"- whether or not it is warranted (Moroni 7:45).

How about the failure of envy? It undermines me by making me want more than I have and  ungrateful for the things I do have. Envy drives a wedge between me and the Spirit. Charity never faileth because it "envieth not", which helps me to rejoice in the blessings I receive from Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father (Moroni 7:45) every single day, no matter how insignificant they may appear to the natural eye.

Pride- now that one is a real trickster because it makes me think I can "win" by comparing myself with other people's strengths or their weaknesses. Pride causes all of my previous failures to become even more acute because I will never be good enough or better than I really am. Pride can also make me think I don't need to participate or learn something new because I have already learned it. In contrast, charity never faileth as it "...is not puffed up" (Moroni 7:45), even humble and meek. Elder Bednar taught: "Humility generally denotes dependence upon God and the constant need for His guidance and support" (Meek and Lowly of Heart). With God, I know I can do all things because He gives me the strength to do so (see Philippians 4:13).

How about the failure of selfishness? This is definitely hard on relationships as it keeps me focused on myself and what I want, what I need, and what I think is important. When in reality, charity never faileth because it "seeketh not her own"- being completely selfless and not self serving as I am generous with my time, talents, and all that God has given me to bless the lives of others.

Anger always fails me. It has yet to solve a problem for me, or strengthen a relationship. Charity never faileth because "...it is not easily provoked" (Moroni 7:45). I have yet to regret being slow to anger.

How about lies? or not telling the truth? Have you ever had a relationship get deeper and more meaningful by basing it on false ideas or lies which try to cover up sin or transgressions? These are definitely failures waiting to happen. Charity never faileth because it "...rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth" (Moroni 7:45). The definition of truth is: "...knowledge of things as they are, and as they were, and as they are to come" (D&C 93:24).

What about the failures that come when I give up and quit trying? or when I start thinking there is no hope? When I don't endure, let alone endure well? Or how about doubting- rather than believing and exercising faith? Each of these can lead to their own failures and loss of peace, joy, or happiness. Charity never faileth because it "...beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things". There is always success when I bear, believe, hope, and endure.

I end my musings with the words from President Thomas S. Monson, he said: " 'Charity never faileth.' May this long-enduring Relief Society motto, this timeless truth, guide you in everything you do. May it permeate your very souls and find expression in all your thoughts and actions" (Charity Never Faileth). I know that as we "pray...with all the energy of heart" for this gift of the spirit, we shall never fail, rather we will succeed, being changed by the power of "the pure love of Christ" (Moroni 7:47). This I testify.

This is a short video about a painting by Julie Rogers titled, "Charity Never Faileth". I thought it fitting for my thoughts on this post. Enjoy!

No comments: