Saturday, September 29, 2018

"...bear one another's burdens..." (Mosiah 18:8)

*Editors note: I wrote this shortly after my mom passed away. I'm ready to share it now.

I have been kind of a bad driver this week. Not intentionally by any means. But mostly because I have been distracted. As I have been driving I have been thinking about my mom. She passed away 3 days ago.

As I pulled into a parking spot today, I could hear my sweet mother's voice say, "Good job! How did you learn to do that so well?" I chuckle at it now. I didn't understand then why she would say that, but now that she is gone, I think I understand a little more. She was trying to look for the good in what I was doing...even if it was complimenting me on my parking job.

I have pondered driving and being distracted and it has brought me to a scripture:
 "...And now, as ye are desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called His people, and are willing to bear one another's burdens, that they may be light; yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort..." (Mosiah 18:8-9). 
What does driving have to do with bearing one another's burdens, even making them lighter? or mourning with others? or comforting others? Well, sometimes I also get upset at other people who I deem to be "bad drivers". But, maybe..., they aren't trying to be a bad driver. Maybe their mother just passed away, too. Or maybe they are just having a really bad day. I think that we can make another's burden lighter just by being a little more patient with them. I believe we could all use a little more patience...I know it makes my burden lighter.

The day of my mom's service
This whole funeral experience is kind of difficult- making arrangements, communicating, and trying to do what seems good for everyone...all while mourning the loss of my mother. One of the really difficult part comes when others tell me that their way is better. Or they continually ask, "Why are you doing this and not that"? or "Why in the world did you choose to have so-and-so do that?" I tell you, I sometimes want to just scream, "I'm trying to do the best I can!" But then I realize that maybe they have also lost their mother recently. And so I can help bear and make their burden lighter by being a good listener, forgiving them quickly, by being patient with them. And even forgiving myself!

My mother's compliment on my parking has reminded me to say, "Thank you for your help", and to look for the good in the simple acts of service others give me and my family. I know that God helps us as we seek to mourn with and comfort each other. Families are definitely the best place for us to practice forgiveness, being patient, and being kind. But I think driving is a pretty close second when it comes to practice time. These simple acts are one way we can make another's burden light and mourn with them. They can also give great comfort. I know it has for me.

No comments: