Monday, April 04, 2016

"Doubt not, but be believing" (Mormon 9:27)

So I ask myself, do I believe God will give me instruction and direction in my life...

And then I read this scripture about Nephi and his brothers who were complaining against Nephi and making fun of him for believing that he could build a ship. Nephi's brothers didn't believe that Nephi could build a ship or even get instruction from the Lord. "And thus my brethren did complain against me, and were desirous that they might not labor for they did not believe that I could build a ship; neither would they believe that I was instructed of the Lord" (1 Nephi 17:18). As I read, there are a couple of things I learn from Nephi and his brothers in this small passage of scripture.

First: Do I "complain" about my leaders or teachers? What kind of attitude do I have? Nephi's brothers were obviously murmuring and saying negative things about their leader. Am I willing to take advice or learn from someone else that I may not really like or feel isn't up to the task? Am I willing to set aside my opinions (which may or may not be correct) in order to learn from someone whom I don't see eye to eye with? This quote from Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf has given me pause after reading about the brother's attitudes. He said: "[Jennifer], let me be clear: there is nothing noble or impressive about being cynical. Skepticism is easy- anyone can do it. It is the faithful life that requires moral strength, dedication, and courage. Those who hold fast to the faith are far more impressive than those who give into doubt when mysterious questions or concerns arise" (Be Not Afraid, Only Believe). Again, I ask myself, what kind of attitude do I have or desire to have?

Second: Nephi's brother's had no desire to work, they "were desirous that they might not labor". How hard am I willing to work at something when I do receive divine help, guidance, or insight? Am I willing to sacrifice my time and talents and work hard enough to "build a ship"? Is missionary work, family history, visiting teaching as hard or as difficult as building a ship? What about developing a talent, being a good mother...or anything that requires effort? How hard am I willing to work? With that question in mind, this scripture has a whole new insight: "Teach them to never be weary of good works" (Alma 37:34).

Third: Do I believe that I can "build a ship"? The Lord expects us to have confidence in our ability to work and build that which we have asked Him to help us with. He will always provide a way for us to "accomplish the thing which he has commanded [us]" (1 Nephi 17:3). Do I believe that if I ask I will receive, and then, do I believe enough to build it?

Forth: Do I believe that I am instructed or will be instructed of the Lord? Nephi was told by the Lord, "Thou shalt construct a ship, after the manner which I shall show thee" and Nephi tells his brothers: "If the Lord has such great power, and has wrought so many miracles among the children of men, how is it that he cannot instruct me, that I should build a ship" (1 Nephi 17:8,49-51). Do I believe that I will get the proper instruction and guidance to "build a ship"? And then I have to ask, "What is the ship that I need to be working on now?"

Nephi does build a ship, but it is not like other ships. His faith is such that he builds it according to the instructions that are given to him by the Lord. "Now, I Nephi, did not work the timbers after the manner which was learned by men, neither did I build the ship after the manner of men; but I did build it after the manner which the Lord had shown unto me; wherefore, it was not after the manner of men" (1 Nephi 18:2). When I receive instructions from the Lord and they don't seem to follow patterns that are like others I have seen in the world, am I willing to set aside my ways, my thoughts, my ideas and follow after the pattern the Lord gives me? Do I believe that He will guide me to "build a ship", one that is so strong and reliable that it will carry me and my family "across the waters" (1 Nephi 17:8)?

So again I ask myself, do I believe God will give me instruction and direction in my life? And I hear the words in my mind, "Doubt not, but be believing" (Mormon 9:27). I know that the Lord asks each of us to "build a ship". I also know that He will give us instruction and guidance as to how that ship needs to be built. It comes back to us and what we choose to believe. I repeat the words that keep coming to me, "Doubt not, but be believing". I know He will help us build as we believe and doubt not. This I testify.








1 comment:

Patricia Smith said...

Thank you, Jennifer. Beautiful! I will go and build my ship!