Having been dealing with foot pain for several months now I have come to realize that perhaps I may have to deal with this pain for a long time. I did finally go to the doctor and find out that there is a problem with my feet and it's something that may not go away on its own. It was a relief to identify the problem and a little scary to learn it might not ever clear up. What can help give some relief is to have the right footwear and to make sure I am not inflicting more pain by being fashion conscious and wearing unsupported, or flimsy shoes that will make the problem worse. There's pretty good footwear out there to help alleviate the pain but, I have found the best "footwear" to be in the gospel.

Paul told the Ephesians, "Stand therefore, having...your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace" (
Ephesians 6:14-15). Shod means the past tense of shoed or simply put, shoe. So, put on the shoe of preparation of the gospel of peace. It's not the gospel of stress or anxiety, but of peace. I love this! Wearing the shoes that are taking me down the path of preparation and peace is very comforting and comfortable. In modern revelation we are taught, "...if ye are prepared ye shall not fear" (
D&C 38:30). I think it's a good question to ask, "what am I preparing for?" I know it's a good idea to prepare for those opportunities that come to "stand in the office which [God has] appointed unto you; succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees" (
D&C 81:5 see also
Hebrews 12:12;
Isaiah 35:3). When we have on the right shoes, we are able to serve and help others on their journey, thus finding "joy in the journey" (
Pres. Thomas S. Monson), forgetting our own pain and helping others with theirs.
To be prepared with such shoes, when we are given the correct footwear we must "bind on thy sandals" (
Acts 12:8). Binding our sandals or "shoes" on our feet is being ready and prepared for the opportunities to serve, lift, and go forward in faith. If we have them sitting in the closet and do not have them on we may lose out when we are called to serve or feel unprepared and inadequate when we are called. I love what Pres. Howard W. Hunter said about having on the right footwear:
"May I say once more to the youth of the Church (and may I add all the adults of the Church)- prepare, believe, be ready, have faith. Do not say or do or be that which would limit your service or render you ineffective in the kingdom of God. Be ready when your call comes, for surely it will come...The Lord would say to you..what the angel said long ago to Simon Peter: "Arise. ...Bind on thy sandals. ...Follow me" (Acts 12:7-8).
So, as I deal with foot pain, and getting the right shoes on my feet, I know that we will be wise to have our feet "shod with the preparation of the gospel", it truly does bring peace and it is the most comfortable footwear out there. This I testify.
Great idea to "bind on thy sandals" to be prepared when the waves or wind come, for they surely shall come.
No comments:
Post a Comment