Thursday, December 04, 2014

"To others it is given to believe on their words"
( D&C 46:14)

Drafting is a wonderful way to ride a bike. It saves energy, shares the burden of riding long distances, enables one to be social and talk with other riders. It is a great way to travel long distances. Every rider has an opportunity to be the leader. But, if you are learning to draft or need to save your strength, you can usually hang out in the middle of the pack and rely on the strength of those in front of you. Now that I ride a trike, I can no longer draft off other riders. On long distant rides I must rely upon my own strength and be okay with being by myself at times. This image of drafting keeps coming to mind as I ponder the responsibility I have as a parent to teach my children the gospel and how to live it.

Watching riders draft in the middle of the pack- Tour of Utah
As a leader in our home I have the responsibility to teach our children truth and where and how to find it (see D&C 68:25). As our children learn for themselves they are welcome to "draft" off my strength and testimony of what I know to be true. At times, we all "draft" off of one another when perhaps our faith and knowledge aren't as strong as we hoped or would like them to be. To believe on the words of others is a spiritual gift. In the Doctrine and Covenants we read: "To others it is given to believe on their words, that they also might have eternal life if they continue faithful" ( D&C 46:14). It is not weakness when we need to rely on the testimony or strength of others, rather we are given a gift to believe on the words of others when we seek help from the Lord. It is a great blessing to be able to lead and guide as others "draft" and we become stronger ourselves. We have a responsibility to share our testimonies and what we know so that those who have this gift to believe with be strengthened. Elder Dallin H. Oaks said it this way: "Where it is given to some to know and to others to believe on their words, those who know must be responsible for sharing their testimonies. Only in this way can they give those who have the gift of believing on their words something to lean upon as they, too, move toward eternal life" (Spiritual Gifts).

As I ponder this drafting, especially now that I ride a trike and wish I could still draft, I realize there is another principle of the gospel that we need to apply at some point in our lives. That is when we become the leader, we become the grown up and need to be responsible for our own choices, actions, direction, and path we choose. When this happens, we can no longer "draft" or blame or point fingers when things go wrong. When I am out there on a really long ride, all alone, I cannot blame my parents for my lack of preparation, or lack or nutrition or water. It is time for me to "perform [my] labors", a time to "prove all things; [and] hold fast to that which is good" (Alma 34:321 Thessalonians 5:21).

Notice the leader at the head of the draft pack
When we become the leader, we get the opportunity to practice what we have been preparing. We are told: "If ye are prepared ye shall not fear" (D&C 38:30). When I have sufficiently prepared for a long ride I find that I have enough strength to endure to the end. I find that I rely upon the Lord when I am alone on these long rides. He is the One I can draft off, always. When I find that I am alone, not only on trike rides, but any time in life, I can seek for that gift "to believe on their words", and I am strengthened by the words of Christ. I have learned to trust in the Lord.

I love this scripture: "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths" (Proverbs 3:5-6). This is the way a solo rider can draft, by relying upon the Lord. He will direct our path when we follow His lead (see D&C 78:18). Sometimes, no matter how much I have prepared, I am taken by surprise by weather, hill climbs, flat tires, or other unforeseen events. But I endure because I trust in the Lord. I know that all who "seek this Jesus" will also be able to "perform their labors" (Ether 12:41Alma 34:32) no matter if they are in the middle, the leader, or a solo rider. This I testify.
Riding solo on a century ride, both of us unable to draft of each other and must rely on our own preparation.

No comments: