Monday, October 20, 2014

"That which is of God is light" (D&C 50:24)

The phrase: "That which is of God is light" (D&C 50:24) has given me great hope in a time when I have been, what feels like, in an endless darkness. It can, at times, be black and suffocating. When I get like that, I get very uncomfortable and I seem to have a warped sense of what is and is not. It is then that I pray that I may see "...things as they really are, and of things as they really will be" (Jacob 4:13). To have the view of things "as they really are" helps me know that this darkness is temporary. The burden of blackness is not fun in anyway, and it is a great burden to bear. I plead, when it comes, to be gone and to have light again. But sometimes the burden stays longer than I would like.

We all have burdens that we must endure, and some which we may have to bear for a lifetime. As I have pondered this "blackness" that comes, I realize that God is light, not dark. It is one thing to tell myself this and a whole other thing to put it into practice. But I keep practicing. Christ calls us out of darkness: "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart; and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light" (Matthew 11:28-30). My thoughts turn to "light". He say's His yoke is easy, and His burden is light. Perhaps light means something more than just light weight. Perhaps it means- light, as in spiritual light.

Burdens are heavy, but will be made "light" through Christ. They can be a source for us to access His light- the light of truth, as we come unto Him. We are taught, "That which is of God is light: and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day" (D&C 50:24). What God gives us is spiritual light, which leads us out of darkness. President Dieter F. Uchtdorf said, "...Even though we may feel lost in the midst of our current circumstances, God promises the hope of His light- He promises to illuminate the way before us and show us the way out of darkness" (The Hope of God's Light).

Though this burden of darkness sometimes seems overwhelming and can be debilitating, I know that there is great hope and light in this experience. I also know that I must "come unto Christ" (see Matthew 11:28-30) if I want the darkness to dissipate. When darkness hits, or burdens of any kind, the way to get out of darkness is to "begin exactly where you are right now. It doesn't matter how unqualified you may think you are or how far behind others you may feel. The very moment you begin to seek your Heavenly Father, in that moment, the hope of His light will begin to awaken, enliven, and ennoble your soul. The darkness may not dissipate all at once, but as surely as night always gives way to dawn, the light will come" (The Hope of God's Light). 

"That which is of God is light" (D&C 50:24)- not only is it light in weight, but is spiritual light! "Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life" (John 8:12). Christ is there to help us bear our burdens, to guide us through the dark, and to fill us with light, "...and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day" (D&C 50:24). This I testify.


He will make our burdens "light"
Christ is the light of the world


No comments: