Sometimes I have felt a little distanced in Relief Society, like, feeling lonely in a room full of people. I blame no one for these feelings of insecurity, and I realized that if I wanted to love Relief Society and the sisters who are in my ward, I needed to be responsible for the change. I wanted to have a stronger testimony that this is God's work and He is aware of me therefore I began to ask for such (see Alma 7:23). It has come to me that this is God's organization for woman to aid, serve, lift, and to truly help relieve suffering. I now understand and know that we are not only figuratively, but also, "literally encircled in the arms of His love" (Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley; 2 Nephi 1:15). Here are a couple of experiences that have helped strengthen my testimony of Relief Society and the power of sisterhood that is within this organization.
I have been able to enjoy quilting with four sisters in my ward on a regular basis at the Humanitarian Center (read about the Humanitarian Center here). We are able to tie quilts that are sent all over the world to those in need and visit together. These women are so positive, devoted, caring, and faithful. I have come to truly love these women who love the Lord and serve Him in so many ways. I have enjoyed spending time with them and learning about their lives, their faith, their hopes, and difficult times. Their faith has strengthened my faith and resolve to "endure in faith to the end" (D&C 20:25) even when things don't always go as expected or planned.
Recently, without going into great detail, my mother has had some very serious health issues. A lot of her care and welfare has been my responsibility. My sister and sister-in-law have been an incredible source of support and help. This has been, at times, moments, hours, and days, an overwhelming experience to watch my mother suffer and endure great pain. I have spent countless hours caring for her at home and at the hospital. One day, after having been at the hospital, I came home to make dinner for my family- it was late and I was exhausted. It also happened that my husband was also working late that particular night. I started to pull some things out of the fridge when I turned and noticed a rotisserie chicken on our counter and a loaf of bread. I was confused about where it had come from. I asked my son, "Where did this chicken come from?" My son told me that one of the sisters in the quilt group had dropped it off saying, "Eat this now or when you need it." Tears rolled down my cheeks as I made cauliflower and a small salad to go with it. I was filled with peace and comfort from this small act of kindness. I was literally "encircled about...in the arms of His love" (2 Nephi 1:15). Because of this thoughtful act of service, I felt some relief from my suffering. My burden had been made lighter (see Mosiah 18:8).
The following day, another sister from this quilting group called me to see how my mother and I were doing. It was a simple phone call, but oh, how it nourished my soul, and again, made my burden lighter to bear. It confirmed the words of a prophet: "It is the natural instinct of women to reach out in love to those in distress" (Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley). I was in distress, yet, I felt loved and supported as this dear sister reached out through a simple phone call.
My suffering was again alleviated when my visiting teacher called and asked if she could stop by. I had just returned home after having spent many hours helping my mother. It had been an especially long and emotional day. At the time I was watching my brothers three youngest children so he and his wife could go and visit with our mother. When my visiting teacher showed up to visit, she had in her hands a small plant and a belated birthday card. As we began to visit she said, "I haven't read the message but the first line jumped out at me and it says, 'I will not leave you comfortless" (John 14:18). It couldn't have been more perfectly timed or said. She then bore the most tender and heartfelt testimony of God's love for us, and said, "Even when there is a new mountain to climb, He will guide us and help us in our darkest times". Indeed He does!
God "encircles [us] about...in the arms of His love through the Relief Society whose members are daughters of God who love Him. It is a society of sisters, all connected by service, covenant keeping, charity, faith, and hope. What a beautiful and godly blessing to be surrounded by these precious women, my sisters in the gospel, even my sisters in Relief Society- who act as God's hands in offering relief to those who suffer and encircling us in the arms of His love.
No comments:
Post a Comment