Sunday, August 10, 2014

"What manner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am" (3 Nephi 27:27)

I finally  completed a huge basket that I have been working on for several months. The process of this basket took a lot longer than I had anticipated. I had in my mind, when I started, a rim I really wanted to do. It would be beautiful and functional. I had done the process on much smaller baskets, but never on a large basket. As I worked on that rim, it was not going as I had anticipated. It didn't look as well as I wanted it to and then I had shoulder surgery, so I didn't finish the rim in a timely fashion. When I finally got back to working on the basket I realized that some of the pieces had been broken and this particular rim wasn't going to be strong enough for the size of basket. A rim adds great strength in keeping a basket together. So, I took it all off and I let it sit for another couple of weeks. When I finally made a decision of what to do, went forward and worked on it, step by step, then it came together. I was able to finish it. It took way longer than I wanted it to, but I finally finished it!

Sometimes I realize that I have an idea of what something is "suppose" to look like in my mind, such as being kind, serving others, or being a good wife or mother, and that picture, well- it's just not quite right. So I have to change things and try again. I have to keep trying. The Savior asks, "What manner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am" (3 Nephi 27:27). To me, what the Savior is really asking is, "Are you willing to make something of yourself  by following My vision, My way, even when you have to undo, or redo something to make it the best"? It's not always easy, but the finished product is so much better than what I had originally envisioned.

After working on this basket for several months I realize that in order to make something strong, beautiful and functional it takes time, patience, diligence, and willingness to fix mistakes. It doesn't come together in a day. The whole process, the dying of the reed, the measuring and cutting, the weaving and shaping, the pulling and tightening and loosening, the entire process is what makes the basket complete. This is the same with us. It is the entire process of learning, living, loving, obeying that makes us into what manner of men and women we ought to be. It is "faith, hope, charity, and love, with an eye single to the glory of God, [which] qualify [us] for the work. Remember faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility, diligence. Ask, and ye shall receive; knock and it shall be opened unto you" (D&C 4:5-7).

Becoming the man or woman the Lord knows we are is sometimes, well, work. What a blessing we get "time to prepare" (see Alma 12:24; Alma 34:32). Time to weave it all together, and even get the rim on nice and tight so that we can be strong, functional, and incredibly beautiful- just like our Savior!


The completed basket

Signed and dated with inscription


My son Slade...telling me, "It's totally awesome".

Note the quarter on the ground for comparison of size.

No comments: