Sunday, August 03, 2014

"I thank my God upon every remembrance of you" (Philippians 1:3)

I know this is more sentimental than normal, and this is written more specifically to my friend, ThuVan. I couldn't have made it through some of the most difficult times of my life without you. You are missed greatly!!!

I want to share a little about a dear friend who moved away about a year ago and it has been different not having her around. She is a devout Catholic and she lives what she believes. She taught me about many things through her example. She would volunteer at the local soup kitchen, take food to others in need without being asked. I know she is an incredible mother who encourages her children to make good choices and then live with the consequences, good or bad. She supported me, loved me even when my faults were hanging out all over the place. She was a true friend, for "a friend loveth at all times" (Proverbs 17:17). She celebrated my successes and helped me learn to forgive and love others. I now understand more fully this scripture: "A [woman] that hath friends must shew [herself] friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother" (Proverbs 18:24). She truly stuck by me through many difficult and challenging experiences.

My friend introduced me to all sorts of new foods. We ate Pho noodles (pronounced fu- the u pronounced as in up) which is a Vietnamese dish. In it I tried flank, tendon, meatballs and often many unknown items. The meatballs are very different from ours; but everything else was pretty decent. I also ate lobster and oysters for the first time with her. We ate a lot of spicy foods together. One time we decided to try a hot wing challenge at a restaurant because we had eaten so many spicy, hot dishes before that we didn't think it would be a big deal to try these. If we ate all the wings we would pass the "test" and get a t-shirt. One bite of the wings made her really sick and me, I was sick later that day. We didn't pass that "test" but we did get a good laugh out of it...later. With all our eating, we would talk and talk. I was truly strengthened and lifted when we would eat and talk. This scripture comes to mind when I think about all our conversations: "Therefore, strengthen your brethren in all your conversations, in all your prayers, in all your exhortations, and in all your doings" (D&C 108:7).

We walked miles and miles together. We talked, shared, cried, and laughed together. I could open my soul to her and know I was safe. On one of our walks we got lost and ended up walking for about 4 hours rather than our usual hour and a half. Through our walking and talking I learned about true greatness and accomplishment from her example of quiet service, compassion, caring, diligence in achieving difficult things, and acceptance of others. Pres. Howard W. Hunter said it perfectly: "...true greatness is a long-term process; it may involve occasional setbacks. The end result may not always be clearly visible, but it seems that it always requires regular, consistent, small, and sometimes ordinary and mundane steps over a long period of time" (True Greatness). She also lived this by continuing her education and receiving her masters degree in occupational therapy. While doing so, her husband got a new job and needed to move before she had completed her studies. She stayed here in Utah while her husband moved. It wasn't easy for her and her children being apart from him. But it was through consistent, small, and sometimes ordinary steps that they made it work. I am grateful for her example of enduring well through difficult experiences. And for being a true friend at all times.

As I write these experiences I realize: "I thank my God upon every remembrance of you" (Philippians 1:3). Wow I really miss you!
Me and ThuVan celebrating my 40th birthday. 

My lobster lunch...first time I ever had lobster. YUM! (Thanks ThuVan!!!)

We would often walk to this park from our neighborhood 

We ate at Silver Fork Lodge...this picture was taken after ThuVan moved. I rode my trike up the canyon and took it.
A year after she moved...she stopped by for a visit and a walk. Had to get a picture before we parted ways again.

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13). May the Lord bless you with good friends. Many hugs to all! And know you are loved!!!

1 comment:

TFrazer said...

Jennifer, you are so sweet. Likewise, you have made me truly examine my own spirit and love in God through your own acts of love, faith, and obedience. You are an amazing mother and wife with such unconditional love and example for all. You are such an advocate for your children! I miss you more than you will ever know. And I may or may not have sobbed through this. Love our pics but most of all will always cherish our times together. Much love! xoxo